Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this super cool "lab mix" from the animal shelter. He has some pointy ears and a cool tail that curls at the end.
I chose him cause he is young, has a very short coat, super cuddley and wants to snuggle, but is also playful. He was shy/scared at first but kept resting his head in my lap and wanted to get close as possible. I almost got a little doberman pincher mix but she wasn't quite as cool as this dude, not nearly as cuddley.

He's 5 months old. Some think part German shepherd and Rhodisian ridgeback

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
He seems really small for a 5 month old Ridgeback or Shepherd mix but that could be the angle of the pictures.
What does he weigh?

He has huge ears like a sight hound (they're really cute).

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I don't see any lab, at all. his legs look houndy to me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looks like a pharaoh hound at a glance, but obviously not a purebred. He could very well have ridgeback in him though. not sure how big he is, but he might have german pinscher in him? I dunno. He's cute whatever he is!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I see pharaoh hound, too. I love those ears! He can probably hear Mars.

·
Registered
943 Posts
He does resemble a pharaoh hound to me too, but, is it just me.. or do I see maybe some doxie in there? Those feet.. and his legs appear to be a bit stubby and his body somewhat long.. but the pictures could be deceiving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for replies

You all are right, you can't even really see his proportions in my photos... here's a good one:

Also he is still very puppy like. The way he acts and even the little puppy grunting/whimper type sound he makes. He has not barked once yet and it sounds as though he is trying to whine but no sound comes out, just air. Unfortunately he also has kennel cough, will cough and gag anytime he gets excited, so I just rub his belly and he stops.

He is only 15 lbs on his paperwork. I would guess 15-20lbs. It's funny they call him a lab mix but that's what most of the dogs there were named. He doesn't look lab to me

edit: not sure if it matters but he has a small white spot on his chest, that is spotted within itself. It's pretty neat. And yes his ears scream pharaoh hound.. even some facial characteristics

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see zero pharaoh hound. Not even a hint. I would bet mix of a mix. Hound, terrier, maybe even a little bully breed. Just a good old heinz 57.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I see zero pharaoh hound. Not even a hint. I would bet mix of a mix. Hound, terrier, maybe even a little bully breed. Just a good old heinz 57.
Agreed. Way too small and wrong body type. Looks somewhat like various street dogs (Mexidogs, for example) so I agree probably a little of this, a little of that, down through some generations making a mix of a mix of a mix of a mix.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Guys I figured it out (with the help of friend's mom and guy on another forum)

He's a Basenji mix...
The 2nd pic looks exactly like him except different coloring and the tail (same short hair, face, ears, long awkward rear legs)

I just read all about the Basenji temperment and he definitely follows them. They are barkless dogs (he barely barks at all, mostly just growls), affectionate, curious, and alert. He licks himself like a cat a lot, and also stands on his rear legs like a meercat, leaning on a person or object. Also independent, like a cat, and can be difficult to train

edit: someone just told me "carolina dog".... definitely looks like him too... even down to his tail and black nails

edit x2: Several people told me today (one was when walking him) that he looks like a dingo:

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Basenjis, Carolina Dogs, and Dingos are all pariah dogs, meaning the type you get from the free-breeding dogs that live in areas where dogs aren't spayed/neutered or contained. So, "mix of a mix of a mix" is pretty accurate, I think!

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yep, what Willowy said. All three dogs you posted just now are pariah types. Mix dogs long enough and with no direction and you start getting mediumish sized, prick eared, often tan, shorthaired dogs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
thanks brah's. So i'll say he's a "mut" lol. Or just a Basenji mix to sound cooler.

He was 26 lbs today at the vet, took him because he's still coughing pretty badly, waking up several times during the night and coughing/hacking. He had a high temp of 104 F as well, so they gave him a shot (for his cough) and I got some anti-biotics and some pills for fever as well.

It was $50 (including my $20 student discount)...hopefully he improves over next few days, else they want me to bring him back for another checkup. It'd be a difficult decision to return him back to the shelter if he gets really sick (phnemonia), or keep spending money on him since I already invested and am becoming attached. I realize pets cost money but I didn't expect this to happen.

At 26 lbs, if he really is only 5 months olde, i'm guessing he'll get to 35-40 lbs? I'd like him to grow a little more

·
Registered
943 Posts
It sounds like he may have kennel cough, coming from a shelter it may be common, if they're new dogs coming in that have the virus. Hopefully that's all it is, but you never really know. I know that kennel cough isn't that serious though, is he still eating and drinking regularily? If he is, I wouldn't be overly concerned. But keep a close eye on him. Its likely the antibiotics might mess him up for a few days.

My Kelpie puppy was around 25 lbs at 5 months old, he's a year now and just broke 40 lbs and doesn't seem to be putting on much more weight. So I would say you've got yourself a good-looking medium sized mutt! I really can't put my finger on any particular breed, I'd say he's mixed with several .. pure heinz 57.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like he may have kennel cough, coming from a shelter it may be common, if they're new dogs coming in that have the virus. Hopefully that's all it is, but you never really know. I know that kennel cough isn't that serious though, is he still eating and drinking regularily? If he is, I wouldn't be overly concerned. But keep a close eye on him. Its likely the antibiotics might mess him up for a few days.

My Kelpie puppy was around 25 lbs at 5 months old, he's a year now and just broke 40 lbs and doesn't seem to be putting on much more weight. So I would say you've got yourself a good-looking medium sized mutt! I really can't put my finger on any particular breed, I'd say he's mixed with several .. pure heinz 57.
thanks. Yeah he is eating and drinking very well, he will inhale the food as soon as I put it down. He also acts and looks like he feels great but you never know because he had that fever but I couldn't tell. The doctor mentioned it could be some other virus/disease if it isn't kennel cough, can't remember the name,.. but he did say that it would be very bad if he has that. I know kennel cough is supposed to go away after 10-20 days.

Just curious, how much did you feed him at 25 lbs? The back of the Blue dog food bag says 2 cups per day for his weight, but my sister feeds her 75 lb dog that much. I guess since he's growing he should eat 2 cups?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, what Willowy said. All three dogs you posted just now are pariah types. Mix dogs long enough and with no direction and you start getting mediumish sized, prick eared, often tan, shorthaired dogs.
Agree with that :)
My sister has a mutt (Ridgeback x Lab x Stafford x Boxer supposedly) that is medium sized, red & short-haired, but has rose prick ears not fully pricked. A lot of mix breed dogs that came through the kennels I worked at had a similar look.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
If you were in Spain, I'd tell you: podenco mix.

In other words, you probably have an ancient (pariah) type dog mix, so I agree with the others.

Adult shorthaired medio podenco:
2012-07-03 12.54.18.jpg 2012-07-02 19.42.05.jpg
Puppy roughhaired medio podenco:
DSC02027.jpg

·
Registered
943 Posts
thanks. Yeah he is eating and drinking very well, he will inhale the food as soon as I put it down. He also acts and looks like he feels great but you never know because he had that fever but I couldn't tell. The doctor mentioned it could be some other virus/disease if it isn't kennel cough, can't remember the name,.. but he did say that it would be very bad if he has that. I know kennel cough is supposed to go away after 10-20 days.

Just curious, how much did you feed him at 25 lbs? The back of the Blue dog food bag says 2 cups per day for his weight, but my sister feeds her 75 lb dog that much. I guess since he's growing he should eat 2 cups?
Well, if I remember correctly, I fed Thumper %100 raw diet up until 4.5 months old, then because he was eating a lot by that point, I put him on half kibble, half raw diet from 4.5 months until about 9 months old, and he's now back on %100 raw. But from about 4 months to 6 months old (when he was around 25 lbs and constantly growing) I was feeding him 1 cup of kibble (I was mixing/rotating between NOW!, Acana All life stages grain-free, NV Intincts, and Fromm) in the morning, and 8 ounces of raw in the evenings. Plus he was getting quite a bit of treats because he was in obedience classes then and then plus lots of training at home too.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Growing puppies need more food than adult dogs the same size that have stopped growing. (Just like teenagers!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts