Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't mention the breed we were told he is by the previous owner, as I find it questionable. He is 1.5 years old and around 115 lbs!

Photos are attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Looks like maybe some boxer, don't know what else. Stunning dog though!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
no but they are the most common, and for the dog we are talking about, they are the only applicable breeds.
It depends on where the OP is. There are a number of dogs common in the southern US that you don't see at all in the northern states that come in brindle.

ETA: Size can be funny, too. My GSDxgolden retriever was 90lbs. If you look at the standards for both breeds, neither get that large. I'm not saying you can put together two 20lb dogs and get a 100lb behemoth, but you can end up with a dog significantly larger than standard.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
What a cool looking dog! He looks so soft.

I definitely see mastiff and for the rest of him my guess is one, or any mix of, the following... boxer, rottie, lab.
The fourth picture screams lab to me.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
brindle color comes from boxer, pit, and mastif,

so with its size, and its droopy eyes, its definitely got mastiff in it
the white chest and toes are common in boxers
and it has the head/ears/jawline of a rottwieler

my best guess is mastiff, rottweiler, boxer mix

id say 60% rott, 20% mastiff, 20% boxer
What an expert!
/sarcasm

He looks like a boxer/mastiff mix to me, but i have seen boxer/lab mixes get as big as your guy.

I am interested to know what the previous owners told you.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
What about a Newfoundland/Boxer mix? Beautiful, BEAUTIFUL dog, whatever he is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the previous owners said he was an American Mastiff. After some research, I found American Mastiffs are a relatively new breed with English Mastiff and Anatolian Shepherd lineage (both breeds would explain the brindle). However, he is more refined than most American Mastiffs I found online and when walking around (and if you don't look at his mastiff-y head,) he's a dead ringer for an Anatolian. He has the "cougar" walk and the low tail carriage, and the most interesting and deep "bay" of a bark. He is RIDICULOUSLY athletic for his stature and can clear his 7' kennel fence like it's nothing. He is the guardian of our family (and his accidental litter of pups :-( ...) and will do door "door checks" where he literally goes through the house and checks all of the doors for intruders.

We had some aggression issues with him when we first got him, but I believe it was simply due to poor socialization. He would puff up on a leash whenever anyone walked by and was a bit snarly/menacing depending on the situation. With time and patience, though, he now greets just about anyone with a rapidly wagging tail and puppy-like sweetness. I love this dog, and we'll have no problem placing the pups-- the mama dog is half Boxer and the most intelligent creature I have ever encountered.

Anyway, guys- thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
751 Posts
brindle color comes from boxer, pit, and mastif,

so with its size, and its droopy eyes, its definitely got mastiff in it
the white chest and toes are common in boxers
and it has the head/ears/jawline of a rottwieler

my best guess is mastiff, rottweiler, boxer mix

id say 60% rott, 20% mastiff, 20% boxer
ALOT of dog breeds come in brindle...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts