Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! New guy here, so I was given a puppy by my friend at first I thought he's part Shepherd but I wasnt sure so I asked pics of the Dam and Sire. Do you guys know what breed are mixed into them? I'm guessing somewhere in the Spitz family. Just wanted to know for research purposes.

Also, my friend said he's sure that the pic below is the dad. If so, Why does my pup have a black mask? Will that disappear later in life?

Mom:

Dad:

My Pup:

Thanks guys. New guy here from the Philippines.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Just based on looks, I would guess that male is not the sire of that puppy. Litters can have more than one sire so that is a possibility.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Full on Heinz 57. I think your pup looks a bit Shepherdy, but the alleged parents look like complete mutts! I don't think I could even hazard a guess! They all look sweet, though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's what I thought. But my cousin said he keeps his dogs in his rooftop with no access to other dogs. Do you think it might be a dominant gene or something that just came up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea my pup does look shepherdy, he has a black mask, and a black saddle, white chest but his feet are not big which is good because I live in an apartment. Thank you! I kept looking at dog breeds and such and I can only identify them somewhere in the spitz variety as they have pointed ears.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Could be Malinois too. Pretty puppy. Enjoy him.

BTW I like the look of his Mother (dam). No reason why but I do.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The black muzzle is not conclusive, but it is a very common (and unexpected) feature of a Golden Retriever x GSD mix. Check out the pictures under Google images. The ears and coloration pattern does look like a German Shepherd, at this age.

The Mom could have some Golden genes in her past, but the "Dad" [?] looks like a spaniel mix, or beagle, Heinz-57 ... and as other folks have suggested, there are other genes floating around. The pup looks like he could grow into a 40 - 50lb medium sized dog.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That puppy is ADORABLE!!!!! I agree he does look a bit like a shepherd of some sort. Seems like an unlikely puppy from that pair but I've learned that with mutts anything is possible... and I mean anything lol.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
The black muzzle is not conclusive, but it is a very common (and unexpected) feature of a Golden Retriever x GSD mix. Check out the pictures under Google images. The ears and coloration pattern does look like a German Shepherd, at this age.

The Mom could have some Golden genes in her past, but the "Dad" [?] looks like a spaniel mix, or beagle, Heinz-57 ... and as other folks have suggested, there are other genes floating around. The pup looks like he could grow into a 40 - 50lb medium sized dog.
Goldens are NOT masked.
GSD can have deep mask.

Does dad possibly have a mask? We can't tell with all the white. So maybe or the owner wasn't as careful with mom as they state.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
That's what I thought. But my cousin said he keeps his dogs in his rooftop with no access to other dogs. Do you think it might be a dominant gene or something that just came up.
Based on the photos, it is genetically impossible for your pup to have come from the red dam and the dog with the white patches.

Em, the gene for a black mask, is dominant to the other genes on the E locus. It can't be carried for - a dog that has an Em allele will have a black mask.

Are you sure your cousin meant the brown and white dog in the second photo, and not the greyish dog with the black mask?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Are you sure your cousin meant the brown and white dog in the second photo, and not the greyish dog with the black mask?
Pups in the same litter can have different sires. If both of the dogs in the second picture are both intact males, then I think that would answer your question about your pup's coloring.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on the photos, it is genetically impossible for your pup to have come from the red dam and the dog with the white patches.

Em, the gene for a black mask, is dominant to the other genes on the E locus. It can't be carried for - a dog that has an Em allele will have a black mask.

That Grayish dog with a black mask is just a puppy, that's my puppy's littermate. My Cousin says he's sure because the dogs are in the rooftop of a building with 3 floors. The dad doesn't look like he has a mask that's why i also wondered if puppies changes colors, im sure they do but not as drastic as from a black mask to a white/brown mask .

Also an update: Here's their older sister, she's from an earlier batch with the same mom and dad. Which makes me more confused tbh. Based on her pics, can you see any specific breeds?

PS: I dont know how my cousin takes care of them but they look so unhealthy. I'll try to educate him.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Your puppy is just adorable. You could probably do a DNA test on him if it is really important for you to determine what breed he is.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Gingerkid for the science!

And no, that dog still looks all Heinz 57! I think it certainly looks a lot more like the alleged parents, though. Perhaps you can convince your cousin to get his dogs spayed and neutered? I don't think the dogs look terribly unhealthy. Just like they need a good brushing!

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
They look too thin to me, especially the supposed sire. I like to keep my dogs on the lean side, but the waist shouldn't be quite that defined.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those aren't my dogs and they live like 6 hours away. There's nothing else I could do. I've talked to my cousin to feed them more as they are soo thin, but you know how it is in 3rd world countries, people barely get food for themselves let alone their dog. I just came here to find some ideas on what breeds are mixed into them for research purposes. I kinda foreseen comments about the dog's state that's why I put a little note saying they arent my dogs but just the parents of the puppy that was given to me. And no, i dont think theyd ever go to a vet, the only vaccine those dogs had are anti rabies just because they are free. This is the sad reality guys just accept it and thank that it's not happening that much in your country.

Same reason why I wont have my dog's DNA tested even if i soo badly want to. I tried using the dog scanner app and they point me to Belgian Malinois and GSD but I just wanted you guy's opinions on what breed the parents are. This is just all about that.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Okay. They look like mixes of mixes of mixes. Anything we could say would be a guess.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts

How do you know dad isn't masked?

Muzzle is white

1 - 18 of 18 Posts