Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are my two five year old pooches, Alaska and Dakota. When DH and I bought them as pups, we were told they were full chihuahua and they looked it. However, over the last five years they have grown and changed to the point that everyone's question is always "what are they mixed with?" and I just don't know.

So it doesn't matter all that much but I was wondering if anyone could pick up on what they might be mixed with?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
The first one looks like it could have Min Pin in it, the second looks like it has Corgi in it. How much do they weigh? Are they from the same litter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first one looks like it could have Min Pin in it, the second looks like it has Corgi in it. How much do they weigh? Are they from the same litter?
Yes, they are from the same litter. The top one, Alaska, is about 9 lbs. Dakota, the darker one was about 8 1/2 but when he got neutered he packed on a little and is now almost 10 lbs. Honestly, when Alaska runs he looks and acts like a corgi (at least in my experience) but I don't see it in Dakota.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I would definitely concur with the corgi/chi suggestion! The first one looks to have the body of a corgi and head of a chi, while the second one looks more evenly blended.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
At that size I'd say they're just Chis that were not bred from show type parents?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Corgis don't have liver (Pems don't even have it in the gene pool!) so I would say it's 1/4 corgi at best. They're also missing the characteristic crooked legs of corgi mixes (that breeds true 90% of the time) and .. yeah, no.

They're purebred Chih, just not well-bred ones.

·
Registered
637 Posts
that first dog is seriously fluorescent orange, it's awesome. i'd say badly bred oversized chis, maybe some jack russell......but only a smidgen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay, thanks! So basically I just have HUGE chihuahuas - our old vet used to call them the 'chihuahuas on steroids' every time we saw her, lol!

By the way, Alaska isn't really that orange color - here is a better shot of his coloring.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I agree with the Chihuahua guess. They are very cute dogs. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts