Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

What behaviors has your dog taught you?

2K views 30 replies 27 participants last post by  krystina alayne 
#1 ·
We are always thinking about how we can teach our dogs to have certain behaviors, but our dogs are also teaching us things whether we know it or not!

For instance, my dog has only to touch the door knob of the backdoor to get me to let her outside. She pushes her dishes around on the floor when she wants me to fill them. And she can often get me to play with her by doing something as cute as putting her soft chin on my arm.

What kind of simple behaviors has your dog taught you?

#18 ·
I've learned to never underestimate how high he can jump.

He has taught me that if he comes up to me while I'm doing something (on my laptop, for instance) and attempts to climb on my face, it means he feels he is not getting enough attention.

Haha!

#8 ·
All my dog has to do is glare at the remote/newspaper on the sofa and I'll move it so she can lie there. I have no idea when she taught me to do that, but now when people ask, "How smart are poodles?" I tell them, "smarter than me!" I figure if she can train me without me even knowing it, she takes the cake.

#9 ·
My dog requires more attention, exercise, and mental stimulation than most. She got me into agility, disc, and now nosework, none of which I'd planned on ever doing. Through these activities, I've learned a ton and made lots of friends. A good dog will turn your life upside down.

#10 · (Edited)
Oh sheez, Wally's taught me lots of behaviors. Some highlights:

-Nose-touching me on the leg makes us start walking
-Sitting (or lying down if he's feeling ignored...drama queen that he is) facing a direction while turning to look at me gets me to let him go where he's facing
-Stopping suddenly while walking while hovering over something on the grass makes me tell him to pee on it
-Pawing my foot gets me to start shaping with him
-Doing play bows while slapping paws on the ground gets me to start playing (or scratching his butt)
-Coming and sitting front after he's peed on something means he's really to sniff a new patch of grass
-Looking up at me while walking is his way of saying he smells something he wants to pee on

#11 ·
My Newfie pup Ozzy sometimes finishes a meal and decides he needs seconds. He lets me know this by knocking his bowl around like a soccer ball. He also only cries at night if he needs to be let outside (very rarely happens, though).

So, Ozzy has taught me to feed him and get up to let him out at 2 in the morning.

#13 ·
In the short time I've had him Tigre has taught me that when he picks up something (ex. a sock) that he's not supposed to have he needs to potty. Scratching him on the chest will make him fall asleep almost immediately...even if he's standing up! Oh, and he's taught me I need to tell him to sit when he starts licking my son's face because (unfortunately) it means he's getting ready to hump him.

#14 ·
that if my dog is climbing on the sink trying to turn on the tap, the water dish is empty lol

#15 ·
Sasha has taught us to never leave table on a "safe" place.. as there is no such place called "safe place" to a Great Pryenees/Golden Retriever Puppy... Also just starring at us while usually get us to "help" her onto the bed to lay in the middle and force us to crowd the edge(worser for my daughter who only has a twin bed, vs my queen).
She has taught us that knocking her food bowl around from the mat in the dining room into the kitchen, means she's thirsty 'n to refil her water bowl*even if there HAD been water in it b4 she did it, lol*..... And she'll paw the food container if she wants 2nds or a snack.
Also taught us to either accept getting licked as a greeting or get licked as a greeting. lol.

#16 ·
We've learned....

....there's a lot of fun to be had with with old towels and an 80 lb dog

....it's fun to make DH run around chasing the dog to get the harness on her when it's time for a walk (we have a circular flow to the downstairs and she can endlessly stay 2 ft ahead of him when I yell, "Run, Poca, run!!")

....boiled chicken and rice is the currency of dogs

....dogs sometimes poop twice, so bring more than 1 bag

#20 ·
They taught me how to play "their way"

Leann taught me to pretend to try to grab the tennis ball from her mouth, while she prances around and pretends that I can't get it. (don't know why, but that's her favorite game)
Pebbles taught me how to play freeze tag. (that's her game)
Galaxy taught me how to play "I'm gonna get you" (and that is her fav)

Galaxy taught me how to trust her instincts/body language, and I taught her to trust mine.
Leann taught me to relax and not be so uptight.

#21 ·
Not sure if this qualifies, but with Uli-the-stupiddachshund, she taught us that we had better be careful what cues we were giving...because we always lifted our eyebrows when we gave the verbal for her to bark, she learned to bark when we raised our eyebrows...what fun that was when we discovered what she was actually responding to! Until the day she was pts, she would bark if we raised our eyebrows...

#23 ·
I have learned that
.........about 30 minutes into ANY movie I must pause it because 40 minutes in she WILL be whining at the door to pee (even if she went just before we started the movie).

.......... ALWAYS check my jacket pockets before heading out, there's a pretty good chance there are dog treats in there that I don't want to take to work with me (and possibly a clicker).

......... scan the coffee table before leaving the house, just in case we left something on there, and check for good shoes near the door.

Oh, and of course patience :)

#24 ·
I've learned on top of the bed is not good enough, must be under the doona.

Putting clothes on dogs isn't stupid or cruel, some REALLY do get cold!

There is one creature in this world who won't be killed for eating my leopard print wedges...

#25 ·
They've taught me to always put my flip-flops up high, no matter what.

Sacha's taught me to latch the gate completely.

Bob's taught me how to check for ticks while pretending to pet and play.

Nice thread ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.