Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never thought about micro chipping, but the other day while getting my puppy his vaccinations, a lady forcefully recommended that I do. I have a pit-bull puppy and live in New York City. She told me that there was a high chance somebody would "kidnap" my dog for either fighting or breeding. Now, although I do know that dog fighting and breeding for the purpose of money happens, I never really heard too much of "dognappers", at least not where I leave..

To me, her point didn't make much sense because from what I understand of having your dog micro chipped, is the microchip does not serve as location finder. He would only be helped if someone found him and brought him to a shelter. Anyways, I just wanted people's input on micro chipping itself - the pro's, the con's, your experiences, why or why not you would get it.

Thank you all for your opinions!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I personally have micro-chipped both of my puppies and for me it just gives me a sense of security. I live in the suburbs of a fairly major city...Seattle. And dogs sadly do get loose and get lost sometime. Around here all shelters and vet clinics scan for chips on any dogs that are brought in in hopes of finding their owners. In fact the shelter I volunteer with actually helped a lost dog find his owner just yesterday because he was micro-chipped!

I suspect she was bringing up the dog napping part in case the fighters were busted and your dog was located in their kennel. Assuming of course they scanned the dogs for microchips then they may be able to return him back to you rather than putting him down for being a fighting dog.

I've personally never seen any health problems come up from micro-chipping and I tend to have it down at the same time I'm getting the dogs fixed, so they're already asleep and no additional pain occurs. The chip itself is tiny and is designed not to interfere in your dogs movement and life so I don't really see many cons to it at all.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are no cons to microchipping. It is pretty much painless, the microchip is tiny (hence the micro part), and relatively inexpensive. Microchipping can be a life saver for a dog who has gotten loose. It is not a "GPS", no, but basically it acts as a permanent name tag that includes the owner information. There is no reason not to microchip, unless you do not wish to spend the few dollars it takes to have it done.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
All mine are chipped.

Its not fail safe but with the other usual precautions it just adds to the package i think.

I can't see any cons to it so why not. If it ever helps then i will be so glad i did it. If its never needed then nothing lost.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
There are no cons to microchipping. It is pretty much painless, the microchip is tiny (hence the micro part), and relatively inexpensive. Microchipping can be a life saver for a dog who has gotten loose. It is not a "GPS", no, but basically it acts as a permanent name tag that includes the owner information. There is no reason not to microchip, unless you do not wish to spend the few dollars it takes to have it done.
I've read the cons about different brands of scanners not picking up the others' brands of chips. Not sure if there is any truth to it or not. I prefer tattoo'ing to chipping, but you have to remember to keep the tattoo area visible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a few months ago i got my year old plott, Daisy Mae, micro-chipped because of an escape from the yard. she had been out for four hours before i got a call from a nice old lady who saw her dodge cars on a six lane free way during afternoon rush hour traffic. Daisy would have gone to the shelter had it not been for her name tag that had my phone number on it. thats when i realized that she could have slipped out of her collar in the woods that she came out at and thought a stray.

I have also heard of dog nappers in particular pittbull nappers. these are the ppl who have the dogs for a crocked reason and are normally caught and dogs go to the shelter. so all in all the microchip is a good thing for every dog.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I guess I see no reason NOT to microchip. It's just another way to get your dog back if something happens. Why not have as many failsafes as you can?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
All our dogs are microchipped because if a shelter finds them it's easy to locate me. I think the point the lady was trying to make is that if your dog is microchipped and someone stole her and if they were to take her to the vet, the vet would scan the body and find out that dog doesn't belong to that owner.

There are tons of dog nappers everywhere. In London where I used to live people ORDER certain breeds of dogs and a group of people just go around in the park looking for that breed to steal.

I live in Vancouver now, just a few months ago there was a poster for a missing dog, the dog was snatched while the owner was walking it. A blue car stopped by the dog, grabbed it, jerked the leash out of the owner's hands and drove off.

I microchip for identity's sake not for if she gets stolen but I don't really see a downside to it. My dog is tattooed as well in the ear for identification.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Also, if it's a small time dognapper who takes him and is going to try to sell him to fight or whatever, or just taken by someone who likes him, if you find him, it helps prove ownership.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've never heard of tattooing. Can some of you, especially those who have had it done to their dog, explain further? What kind of information is tattooed on the dog? Is it just a number or the owners information? How big is the tattoo? Do they always use the same color or would they modify, if say, your dog had a darker colored skin? If the tattoo is on the inside of the ear, is it noticeable or do you have to really look? Do you have any idea how many people tattoo their dogs? What are the benefits of tattooing over microchipping? Thanks for the additional information!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Amy was tattooed, as if Fred (my cat) but I don't see it as much good for them, as it's done inside the leg, and they have to much fur to see, so they'd have to be shaved to see it, or at least Fred as Amy passed. Ummm, with the ear. If they lost the ear, then it wouldn't help either, but I don't really know how it works, and glad I never had to figure it out.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I guess I see no reason NOT to microchip. It's just another way to get your dog back if something happens. Why not have as many failsafes as you can?
Absolutely. Many years ago I thought it was silly unless you had a $5000 purebread...until I got Bella...and I had it done when she was spayed. It was inexpensive and painless. The thought of her possibly getting lost without her collar made me feel sick to my tummy, I didn't think twice about it.

No reason not to do it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I see no reason not to. Its no more painful than vaccinations...Buster is a big baby, he didnt put up any more fuss than if he'd been getting shots and very quickly went back to smothering the tech. with kisses. He's now permanently ID'd should he get out without his collar (highly unlikely) and I have proof he's mine should some random nut job take him. Any future pet I bring into my home will be microchipped for the same reasons.

·
Super Moderator
12,061 Posts
My Molly, who runs like a gazelle for the pure joy of it, has taken off twice without her collar or tags.

Both times, the chip got her back to me.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
All of my crew is chipped (including the cat)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My dogs are chipped. I see no reason not to do it, and it could get them home.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I like the idea of microchipping also. At first, I thought it was intrusive and most people will look for tags than to look for a microchip. Now, I've noticed how my huskies' coat and face mask are changing each season .... a photograph wouldn't do them justice if someone should think they belong to them. Ilya is getting brown patches under his eyes and his coat changes from a dark chocolate red to copper red. Sophie is loosing her eye patches (whew... she was starting to look like a racoon) and now has gray spots on her leg. I wonder if she'll turn silvery this winter.

Anyway, with a microchip, there would be less doubt the dogs belong to you.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Exactly what I think. If one of mine got loose and didn't return, and weren't chipped, I'd always wonder "what if...."

·
Registered
5 Posts
I feel everyone should microchip their dogs. I live in Las Vegas and we see alot of dogs that have gotten lost or even people who have lost their homes and turned in the dog and was adopted but the dog got lost and ended up in our pet store vet to see who it belongs to. Even if it had been adopted out to someone else at least they can find out what shelter it came from and return it to the new owner. There are so many good reasons to chip them. The only thing you must do if the Vet doesn't have a registery to send the info to then it is up to you to send it or it doesn't make any sense to chip if no one has a way to find out who the dog belongs to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bella is going to be chipped when she goes in for spaying this week. She has this habit of slipping her collar on occasion and we'd be brokenhearted if we lost her. We'll do the same for Sophie when it's time (right now she's only 10 days old) :baby:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts