Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I've never trained either of my dogs with treats and they are the best behaved dogs around. I have no problem with people asking but it isn't their decision to make. I personally think it's a bad practice anyway, for the same reasons people don't generally approve of you giving their kids treats.
I agree that people should ask but only since I got Xena. Before then I was one of those who wouldn't even think twice about it... She gets carsick and has allergies so when someone offers a treat I say "Oh, no thank you, she is allergic" and they are usually pretty surprised dogs even have allergies. So then they ask me about it and I tell them what I know, so maybe next time they will think to ask and make sure.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've never trained either of my dogs with treats and they are the best behaved dogs around. I have no problem with people asking but it isn't their decision to make. I personally think it's a bad practice anyway, for the same reasons people don't generally approve of you giving their kids treats.
I don't train too much with treats either. And when somebody comes to the house and Rigby gets scared, it doesn't help anyway. If they reach down with a treat, he just runs.....

I actually don't mind it when people ask my son if he wants a treat. I figure it's not going to hurt anything, and they're just trying to be nice. But, I'm not overly picky about stuff like that either.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
One of my bigger peeves is small dogs that are overweight. Not that large/medium overweight dogs don't bother me, but for some reason small overweight dogs really push a button for me. Maybe because it's more obvious? I'm not sure.

The joke I say now with my bf if I see an overweight small breed dog is, "I cannot abide a fat *dog breed here*."

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
One of my bigger peeves is small dogs that are overweight. Not that large/medium overweight dogs don't bother me, but for some reason small overweight dogs really push a button for me. Maybe because it's more obvious? I'm not sure.

The joke I say now with my bf if I see an overweight small breed dog is, "I cannot abide a fat *dog breed here*."
I always call them potatoes with legs. LOL

I get comments on my cats all the time, because they're huge. I have 3, and they're all about 15 lbs or more. So far Rigby isn't overweight, he's so young. But, I feed him according to the bag, exercise him, etc. So, I'm hoping he won't get overweight, just for the health factor.

·
Registered
72 Posts
but for some reason small overweight dogs really push a button for me. Maybe because it's more obvious? I'm not sure.
I think that's probably the reason. My "small" dog got too big and I did feel bad about it although he was still very active. I learned that the food was the culprit and dogs need very little if any carbohydrates and most of the "good" brands weren't that good.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think that's probably the reason. My "small" dog got too big and I did feel bad about it although he was still very active. I learned that the food was the culprit and dogs need very little if any carbohydrates and most of the "good" brands weren't that good.
Yeah, it's a common thing, nothing you did wrong. Is it possible for him to loose weight by changing foods, cutting back a bit on the amount for awhile, and more exercise?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
1. Not picking up poop. This one kills me since I have a mega poop eater.
2. Telling me it's okay for our dogs to meet and then acting surprised when your dog lunges/growls at my dog. If you have a DA or leash aggressive dog then just say no.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Obese dogs.

Most everything else I can understand and/or forgive easily, but obesity in dogs is my major peeve. Someone I know has a small dog who's at least twice, more like thrice, his healthy girth. He still gets treats, wet kibble toppings, and a large portion of kibble - to my knowledge, the same amount he's always gotten. And because he and another dog are fed side-by-side, he sometimes gets into the other dog's food too. No exercise at all beyond what he gets in the house and yard, no walks or trips to the park. Love the dog, love the owners, but OY VEY.

And obese dogs are common around here. I see them everywhere.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dog owners who yell:

"He's friendly, don't worry!"

Next moment BAM all over your dog in a snarling frenzy.

Liars. All of them.
I know, and even if they ARE friendly, why do I want them jumping all over me, or getting MY dog all nervous and scared? People just don't think......it's all about them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I only realized my pet peeve as a new dog owner this morning. People who tell you that you're training your dog wrong.
This morning I was finishing up our walk and a woman, who Pax has jumped at in the past, stopped me to tell me what I was doing wrong, even though I had his attention, and was about to breeze right by her until she stopped me to tell me what "Cesar" would do. I very much understand that my dog isn't fully trained, but I wanted her opinion, I'd pay her.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yea get used to that. You will get it all the time one of my neighbors thinks him and his now ex wife are pros and since our little guy and their dog played when we first got him they are always like that's crap do this instead which may be right or wrong i don't know but to flat out tell someone how to raise or where to train your dog without asking is irritating I agree.

Welcome to the pet peeves!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
That people think a breed or mix is incapable of sports or even certain games and activities because its not one of the handful of breeds that are well known for it. So they don't even try to train or breed their dogs for it,they may even decide to abandon their favorite breed for another. I see it all the time with Rottweilers. That people don't want to bother going out of the way to find the more athletic built and driven ones that could actually do some of what they are into,even if not the best at it. Yet their too stuck on a certain appearance or are too lazy to even try. I've also seen it with breeds that are not super biddable. They may even show anger towards people that actually do those activities with their breed,sense their not meant for it,they might get injured for whatever reason,or they don't look like the show standard. They will tell others to not even try,and I think it is more harmful then good for any breed.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
4. Okay so I don't groom my dog every single day, that doesn't mean I don't brush my dog. People...brush your dog! Mats will hurt them.
Not all dogs need to be brushed. I hate brushing and will grudgingly do it a couple of times a year (usually after a bath and to keep the shedding to a minimum). Despite this, my dog has zero mats, her coat is gorgeous, and people are always telling me how soft she is.

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
More of a pet peeve of people in general but I hate seeing idiots that educate themselves based on what other idiots say online. When applied to dog owners, that tends to happen a lot with nutrition and training.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh yeah CM in general is my pet peeve lol.
He just really annoys me, a lot.

I can't stand obese dogs either. What I really hate seeing are obese dogs that are athletic by breed. Fat BC.. not cool.
Neither can I.

My neighbors have a stunning GSP. Compared to most dogs here, there GSP is lean, but many believe that he's underweight.People have told them "You need to fatten up your dog" or " You need to feed your dog more food."

Another one is when people have there dog off leash,& can't control there dog.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts