Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really didn't think a second dog would add this much to my morning, but I'm going crazy in the mornings... Between running them outside, feeding them, feeding myself, walking them (separately), getting in a bit of training, and then taking care of the four other pets and myself, I always feel like I'm missing something, or rushing someone. So I'm looking for a bit of insight on how other people manage it. Do you let them out first, or give yourself bathroom time first? Who gets to eat first? How long of a morning walk do you go on, or do you skip it all together? Basically, how do your mornings run?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Join the multiple dog owner's club! Lol! :) I have three dogs. I have to get up when they wake me up which is about 6 am and I must use the bathroom first, quickly.

Then it is one at a time or two at a time sometimes out the door to potty. Oh ... I forgot ... have to push the button on the coffee maker first so the coffee is done by the time I finish with the dogs .... which is usually a good half hour.

Run inside and drink coffee ... look at my E-mail to be sure there are no dog food recalls before I hand out breakfast to them. Then I feed them all. Finish my coffee and playing around on the df. In approximately one half hour after they eat it is potty time again. :) then providing the weather is good and I have taken all my meds and my morning breathing treatment for my copd ... by 10 am ... we can go about our daily walking and training .....

The list goes on... you know ... cleaning, laundry, cooking and such ... eventually a shower or a bath ... dogs too sometimes! Lol! :)

Yes .... sometimes you feel like you have forgotten your head if it were not attached ... but you have to love them!

I wouldn't trade this lifestyle of mine for the world! :) Today is my laundry day ... so I am doing it between DF ... and I never sign out of DF ... ( maybe I should not have shared that info?) it takes too long to log back in! Lol! :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly gets me up at around 5 for potty & breakfast. As soon as she's chowed, which takes all of 3 minutes, she likes to go back to bed with hubs & I get a little "me" time until they both get up around 7. We usually start our morning walk by 9 and walk for about an hour or so. I don't work full time so I'm in a different situation than many others here.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I wake up. I pee then take the dogs out. We have a fenced in yard so it's easy. I drink my coffee while watching something I recorded the day before. Dogs eat after that, which is usually an hour from when I wake up. If i had to walk dogs to potty, I'd only have one.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
I don't walk in the morning before work. For one, half the year it is dark at that time and there are various hassles and dangerous of walking in the dark. Also because we have to pass a lot of children waiting on buses during the school year and depending on what dog(s) I have, that creates problems (overexcited barking, New/untrained foster trying to jump on kids, etc). If its just Chester, he's fine with no walk and basically just eats breakfast, potties and goes back to bed. If I have a foster that needs more exercise I'll spend 10 minutes playing fetch in the yard and use the breakfast for training purposes. After work is when he or they really get attention; weather permitting an hour+ at the park hiking or on the parkway (promenade) and then individual attention (another walk maybe or training or fetch) and then hanging out in the yard or on the porch.
Surprisingly, even my high energy pit bull foster adapted quickly to no morning walks.

Weekend mornings of course we start the day with a nice long walk or playing the yard before a trip to the park.

·
Registered
547 Posts
At 7:15am, every morning, Pepper decides I've slept long enough. He will bark until I get out of bed, use the bathroom, go downstairs and make coffee. Then, I read my email and start working.

Why haven't I walked the dog yet? Glad you asked!

Pepper likes to sleep in - he just doesn't like it when I do. He strolls downstairs at about 8-8:30am, at which point I take him outside.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We only have 1 dog, but she's still a youngin and requires a lot of exercise, so I take her for a long walk every morning. I'm in charge of all morning dog-related activities; my husband deals with the PM dogging. She gets another long walk after work, plus 30 minutes with the dog walker at midday.

Biscuit wakes us up by hopping in bed and licking our faces at exactly 6:25 every morning. We snooze for another 20 minutes, then I get up, get dressed, and take the dog for an hour's worth of walking/running/romping. We don't have a yard. I wish we did! It would be awfully nice to drink coffee and throw a ball in the backyard some mornings instead of hiking around the city. Back home by 8:00 (hopefully) and I feed and water both the dog and myself. Then we go back upstairs, where Biscuit snoozes while I get ready for work. Around 9, when I'm ready to leave for work, we go back downstairs, and Biscuit drinks some water then trots into her crate. I turn the radio on, give Bisc a cookie, and leave.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
At 7:15am, every morning, Pepper decides I've slept long enough. He will bark until I get out of bed, use the bathroom, go downstairs and make coffee. Then, I read my email and start working.

Why haven't I walked the dog yet? Glad you asked!

Pepper likes to sleep in - he just doesn't like it when I do. He strolls downstairs at about 8-8:30am, at which point I take him outside.
This cracked me up! :)

I have late sleepers, too. I have to get up early, be to work by 7 ish. The dogs don't want to get up before 6:30 or 7, though. Fiance doesn't have to work til 9 am, so he has dog duty in the morning, will take them out to pee/poop around 6:45, then they all get back in bed.
He feeds breakfast around 8, then plays a bit in the yard. Then, heads to work.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Cthullu (the new dog) is such a puppy, he overwhelms me sometimes... When it was just Otto, we would sleep in, do a quick outside potty, eat breakfast together, short walk, and back to bed for him while I did other morning stuff, like feeding the other pets and doing laundry. But now, I wake up to barking, I have to hurry up and throw something on to take Cthullu outside before he decides I'm taking too long and he can't hold it anymore because he could jump our fence if he had a mind to so I don't trust him alone yet, and if I try to eat something before I feed him it's more barking/whining, and I have to watch them both eat now, because Cthullu will try to steal Otto's food, then I have to decide who goes on a walk first, because Cthullu doesn't know what a loose leash is, and has a tenancy to trample over Otto when I try to take them both... I'm just so tired! Lol... I've only had Cthullu for about a week, and a lot of the issues are just "big hyper puppy with no manners" problems, and he'll learn manners as we train. I just didn't realize how exhausting it would be, lol!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Well, I mean, if you're going to name a dog after the greatest evil of the universe . . . ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I mean, if you're going to name a dog after the greatest evil of the universe . . . ;)
Congratulations! You are the first person who actually got his name! lol Yeah, it was my fiance's idea. I should have known better... I had a cat named Lilith as a kid, and she was a demon just like her name, lol!

·
Registered
339 Posts
After fixing my boyfriend lunch and de-wrinkling his uniform at 4am, at 5am I either hop back into bed or let the Wicket out to chill with me as I check my email or do the dishes. She’s still really tried so she just curls onto her cushion and goes back to sleep. Around 5:50-6am or whenever daylight arrives, I get changed and get ready to walk her. When she hears me gathering my keys and her leash, she perks up and follows me around until it’s time to go. If I’m pressed for time (ie school, appointment, etc) we walk for 30 min, if not we walk for 45min – 1 hour. If we’re going to leave her alone for over 5 hours, or we plan to visit someone that day, I walk her for 1.5 – 2 hours. We get home, I wash her face, paws, bum, then release her. Wicket runs around for a little and settles. While I’m making breakfast and eating it, I chill on the floor and play fetch with her for about 15 - 30min. When I’m done, I have a little 5-10 min training session doing the current trick I’m trying to teach her, lol. After, I fill Wicket’s kibble ball with food and give it to her, I wash the dishes, tidy, or study for a little bit before I leave. Sometime she finishes it, sometimes she doesn’t; I just leave it there for her with plenty of fresh water. When Wicket is done eating, she starts to settle down: If I have to go somewhere, I leave when she’s curled up in her bed. If neither me nor my boyfriend can make it home for noon, I take the pup out for one last potty break. If I don’t have to go anywhere, we chill on the couch and watch some TV.....or I do chores while she naps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have five lovelies - in the bed - my favourite thing is waking up to five dogs' tails wagging/beating against the duvet ... somehow they know you are awake. A couple of them really hate getting out of bed but once breakfast is being prepared - and they smell it -they are all up. They do a lot of cartoon stretching and loud yawns. It is one of my favourite times of the day.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This was lots of fun to read!
I wake up at 6 to take my drugs and go to the bathroom and by the time I get back in bed Chloe is up and waiting to be invited up. I'll let her up and she curls up between my legs and we go back to sleep til 7:45. Sometimes Sydney will join us, sometimes not, depending on her mood. When she does join us its always right in between SO and I with her head on the pillow so she can sniff out the window while we sleep. Sometimes hubby get annoyed when he rolls over for a snuggle and gets a face full of dog lol, then he'll kick her down to the end of the bed (not literally of course!) When I get up I hop in the shower then get dressed and let the girls outside to potty while I walk around outside with them. I really miss having a fenced yard in the mornings. Then we go back in and have breakfast and SO is normally up watching the news and we'll all sit and relax for a minute. Then I finish getting ready and head off to class by 9.
We do all our playing and training in the pm too unless I have a short day and can come home early.

Then on weekends its SOs job to get up and let the pups out and their pretty good about going back to sleep with us if we don't start moving after that. My favorite is when the girls are up on the bed and SO is complaining about all the b!tches in his bed. He'll get up and make the girls stay on the bed while he opens the door. He'll do a couple false starts and the girls will be staring at him twitching to go, then he runs down the hall yelling and they leap off the bed barking and racing after him. Then usually he'll race back down the hallway and jump onto the bed and have the girls attack me with kisses and stepping on my head. I love waking up with a laugh!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This cracked me up! :)

I have late sleepers, too. I have to get up early, be to work by 7 ish. The dogs don't want to get up before 6:30 or 7, though. Fiance doesn't have to work til 9 am, so he has dog duty in the morning, will take them out to pee/poop around 6:45, then they all get back in bed.
He feeds breakfast around 8, then plays a bit in the yard. Then, heads to work.
I am so jealous. At 5 am I have a 60lb dog staring me in the face saying let me out.

I have 3 dogs (2 boys and a girl) and normally a foster dog or 2. I have to keep my female separated because she hasn't learned to play nice yet. Normally I get up around 6, earlier if the above happens. Let the boys and any fosters out back. Take the girl out of her cage. Start getting myself ready for work. Then about 7 everyone comes in and gets fed. The girl goes outside till I am done getting ready. Then she comes in and the rest go out for one final potty break while I make my breakfast and lunch. They come in and off I go to work. All while the SO sleeps. :)

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
During the week -- My husband gets up around quarter to seven, gets dressed, goes to the bathroom, goes downstairs and takes Hamilton out, then feeds the three cats, then feeds Hamilton, then continues his morning routine (breakfast, packing lunch, checking email) with Hamilton following him around playing. I get up somewhere between 7 and 7:30, get dressed, do bathroom things, come downstairs, get loved on by Hamilton, walk him again, hang out with him for about an hour or so while I get ready, then put him in his pen and go to work.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Wake up.
Go to the bathroom.
Let dogs out of crates and into yard.
Finish getting ready.
Let dogs in.
Pack my backpack & put on shoes.
Pour bowls of food.
"Bedtime!"
Dogs get fed in their crates or room and then I leave.

That's my morning! Works well when Bailey doesn't have an accident in her crate over night.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My current morning routine starts between 7 and 7:30. My alarm is set for 7:30 but sometimes I am woken up a little early by Faolan. As soon as I am woken up, I go potty and change clothes. I leash up both dogs and we go for a 40 minute walk (they do their morning potty during the walk). Then as soon as we get back I feed them breakfast. As they're eating I'm showering. Then we all relax until I leave for class at 9:20. The dogs go back to sleep (Faolan goes back in his kennel, Legend stays loose) until I get home at 11:30 and then we're out for another potty break.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
A lotta Stress....
Im probably going to die on my front lawn one morning..
This cracked me up. Sorry. lol!

I am feeling your stress Jfinner. My boyfriend and I recently, (three weeks ago this coming Monday), adopted another boy into our household. So collectively we have two dogs and a cat.......... I have managed one dog and one cat perfectly, but every morning and every night I feel sooooooooooo stressed. I wake up an extra fortyfive minutes just to make sure I get everything done.

When I wake up and come home, it's my potty time first. Then I take the boys out. I live in an apartment complex, and most mornings I take them out on leashes. Miggy, being a young puppy and all and considering he stays crated during the day I make sure to walk him until he does all his business. Donatello is a breeze, by now he'll basically go on command, and he's such a worthless dog (I say that jokingly) that he's ready to go back to bed. Once we come in, I give treats and take a couple minutes to train Amigo on "sit" and "down". Then I get ready for work, and as I'm getting ready for work, Donatello is laying in bed giving me those, "stay home and cuddle with us" eyes, Miggy is doing his best 'Mexican Jumping-bean' impression around my feet, and Jinkies stays just two steps ahead of me. Meowing. Insistently. Once I'm all ready for work and about to walk out the door I dole out the food. Amigo eats in his kennel, Jinkies eats on a waist-high bookshelf in the dining room and Donatello eats in the kitchen.

I say goodbye to the kids and tell'em to "be good boys and girl".

I don't know how I manage it all in 45 minutes, but I do. (And that's probably why I feel so damned rushed in the mornings.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts