Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted him from a shelter. He is around 2 and 1/2 years old according to the vet. The shelter said he is a rottie beagle mix. I find that believable but I'm also thinking he could be a mix of many other things

MORE PHOTOS AT http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k5/Captainhorse7/Larry/

Boxer beagle? Pitt beagle? I dont know.

But info I can give is that he is very attached to us. He can be super super hyper when you play with him but can calm down in less than a minute and just sleep. He doesnt bark much at all but he does have a variety of different barks which makes me think he is for sure beagle especially since he has the howl too at times. He does always walk the perimeter of a room - at least small rooms- when you sit down. He usually goes and gets a bite of food, walks around the room a bit and goes and eats another bite and continues till his food is gone. Very very friendly with other dogs but I know that could just be how he was raised. He does bounce a lot like a boxer when he plays. First I thought wow he looks like a little puppy when he plays. But then I thought about boxers and how they run and jump and stuff. He has a walk like a rottie though and he way he gets off the bed and stuff looks very much like rottie style has some grey in his coat on his back and tail and has almost spots on his stomach... which is what's making me question his breeding

He's changed color too. He was completely black and tan with a little white on his chest and toes when we got him now he has a basically all grey face and

Ummm.. I can't think of much else to say about him but if you have any questions that could help identify his breed let me know :)

We are hoping to get a DNA test on him someday in the future but am just wondering peoples guesses now.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The white on his face is interesting. It wasn't always that way? (I don't see it in the earlier pictures). Could be vitiligo.

My breed guess for him would be Boxer/Beagle. In that last pic I can really see Boxer in his face.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were starting to think catahoula as well. Especially with how his color is changing and how his ears are set.

I'm sure he has potential to hunt . But mostly his nose just carries him off with a scent somewhere. I dont know how well of a hunter he would make since he doesn't bother to chase cats or anything. And he's only about 35lbs. He looks a lot bigger in pictures.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The white on his face is interesting. It wasn't always that way? (I don't see it in the earlier pictures). Could be vitiligo.

My breed guess for him would be Boxer/Beagle. In that last pic I can really see Boxer in his face.

I know ! its the weirdest thing.He's old enough I wouldnt think his color is still changing... but possible I guess.. Wouldn't vitiligo affect the skin color as well as hair color? We just had a surgery done on his foot to repair a bad fracture and the area where his hair was shaved there wasn't really any different in color where he had white hair vs black hair.

I've been trying to find a breed of dog that gets lighter in the winter and the only one I know if is Husky.. and he's definitely not that.. at least I dont think he is. Every other dog breed I've known either doesnt change at all for winter and summer coats or they get slightly darker.

I really have to agree though that I think I see a lot of boxer in him and I know breeding boxers and beagles has become fairly common

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I agree on the vitligo being the cause of the discoloration. Id say boxer/beagle or beagle/rottweiler. Catahoula and Plotts are both pretty uncommon, how many of them are in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree on the vitligo being the cause of the discoloration. Id say boxer/beagle or beagle/rottweiler. Catahoula and Plotts are both pretty uncommon, how many of them are in your neck of the woods.
we have a few catahoula mixes around. Mostly because there's a big adoption event once a year close by here and a lot of the dogs come from Texas . Apparently they're pretty big on catahoula mixes.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts

Yeah, your pup definitely looks like its got vitiligo.

As for guesses, I second the boxer/beagle mix. Cute dog!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't know what he is but he is a cutie!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what he is but he is a cutie!
Thanks, people either tend to think he's really cute or really ugly . I think he's really cute. And personally I fell in love with his little stubby tail. Saw him at petsmart and thought Awww I wish I could have him! but at the time I didnt know where I would be living at soon and if they would allow dogs or not. Shortly after that -the same day I found out I had a place that allowed dogs- he was due to go back to the shelter and possibly be put down. He found a foster home with a petsmart employee and about a week later came home with my fiance and I . We love him :) Had him a little over 2 months now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts