Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fun "boredom" thread - what are you guys all working on right now with your dogs? What training is on your agenda?

We are in the middle of a 6-week Obedience class, so I've been doing exercises centered around getting Willow and Bandit more focused and patient.

Willow -
Increasing duration of sit/stay and down/stay (300 peck method)
Susan Garrett's Crate Games, Level 2
Leave It
Whiplash Turn (from "Control Unleashed")
Counterconditioning with the cats (STILL working on this, I don't know if she will ever relax around them)

Bandit -
Increasing duration of sit/stay and down/stay (300 peck method)
Susan Garrett's Crate Games, Level 3 - 4
Gee/haw training (the same as targeting left/right)

What are the current goals for your dogs? :)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Zoey and I are working on Targeting.. I'm hoping to be able to teach her some more complex things with it. I think if I can get her to target whatever I ask her to, maybe I will be able to get her to bring me specific toys like 'bunny' or 'rope'.. :) So far she can target a post-it note... but we only started yesterday LOL..

When the snow melts I'm hoping to work on an off leash recall with her. Not that I'm ever going to let her off leash anywhere- but I want to know that if she -does- get off leash I will still be able to bring her back. My parents have a fenced yard, so I am hoping to take her over there to do the training.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Zero - we're working on sit/stay, down/stay and walking on a leash.

Brutus - I've all but given up on teaching him anything cute and right now I would settle for sit, walking on a leash and crate trained.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Well call me ambitious, but I hope to teach Sobaka that when I stand by the street, I will say "deliver" and she will take a newspaper from me, bring it to the mailbox, then drop it in front of the mailbox and return to me. Just a little joke for the kids that do the newspaper... "Hey kid, want to bet that I can get my dog to deliver the paper for you?"

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Donatello and I are probably all "tricked" out for now...

He knows, "sit", "lay down", "shake", "high five", and "dance"; But every time we work on something new he gets scared and "shuts down"... So I've just come to terms that Donatello, although is smart as a whip, won't be my trickster... Later on in life, I'll get a dog from a puppy, so I know his only history is with me and I'll be able to "trick" him out! lol!

Donatello is a good dog, he was a good dog before I taught him any tricks, but at least the tricks I taught him now are beneficial so I don't really have to do anymore.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We're currently working on "spin". She's picked up quick on it!

Another new one is putting a treat (chicken) on her nose and having her "leave it" for an extended time. This is very trying for her (on her paw she can do it for a long time), as she is a pug after all! Last night we got up to 63 seconds, must have been an eternity for her. Her "leave it" is a constant work in progress, so I'm trying to find new ways to teach it and implement it in a fun way.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Well call me ambitious, but I hope to teach Sobaka that when I stand by the street, I will say "deliver" and she will take a newspaper from me, bring it to the mailbox, then drop it in front of the mailbox and return to me. Just a little joke for the kids that do the newspaper... "Hey kid, want to bet that I can get my dog to deliver the paper for you?"
Back in the day when I worked 3rd shift I would come home about 7 am. I would always drive by this house where a golden retriever would come out the screen door, pick up the paper where ever it was in the driveway and head back inside. I never once saw the owner of the dog, but I saw the dog almost every day.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Cupid and I are starting a level one training class on Wednesdays. It's for dogs 30 pounds and under. But he already knows sit, down, shake (sort of), up (or sit pretty). We're working on leave it and scootch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hmmm what have I been working on recently, well until I get my Control Unleashed stuff this is what we've been doing-

Sydney- Walking with me down the street draging long line, recalls in the street and yard. (we have a very nice street out front of our house, that's not very busy)
Kali-Making her Tug Toy and Flirt Pole rewards, basics such as sit and down, heeling basics in the house.

I'm taking it easy till this Friday or Saturday till my CU book and DVD gets here, then we'll have lots to work on

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ah, let me think...

Jake:

Duration/generalization/solidness of his wait/stay. I'm so proud of him- at this point I can release Buck from his stay to go outside and Jake will stay until I cue him specifically to go :D

Working on Leave It- It's pretty solid, but I want to keep it at its best.

Loose Leash Walking in a heel- coming along wonderfully, but stunningly enough he does this perfectly OFF Leash (even outside and stuff), but with leash seems to change it a bit? :eek: It's odd.

Beg

Buck:

Rollover

BANG! You're DEAD! (Play Dead)

Wait/Stay

Leave It

And always always always working on recall to keep it in tip top condition. :) I also hope to get Jake enrolled in an obedience class here soon.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Wally's "To Learn" list:

-Tugging. He's starting to FINALLY get it and he can get into it if he's feeling energetic. He's gonna be sick of that rope bone before long :)

-Off leash walking by my side. He still has that tendency to want to go too fast or he gets distracted by something and loses his pace. Don't know if it's his nervousness kicking in or just being a scatterbrain. This really happens when I'm trying to get him to go slower (so he doesn't keep outrunning my mom when she walks him - she walks slower than I).

-That "Automatic Sit" I once read about where if I stop, he flops his butt on the ground and sits almost instantly. Not exactly sure how to teach this so I'm trying a "shaping-esque" approach to where I don't start walking again until he's sitting and looking at me but with no cue from me. I think the problem, though, is that me stopping (especially if suddenly) also triggers other behaviors (like getting eye contact and looking for our next move) so this might be one I have to let go.

-Retrieve. Still working on that with shaping and trying to get the behavior in other places.

-Walking between my legs. Recently started this, but he's getting the hang of it.

-Looking at me before peeing on a spot. He's actually getting this, but I think it's one thing interfering with the "Automatic Sit". When I know he's got to go, I stop and make him give me a few seconds of eye contact, then I'll say "go potty!" and he goes and looks for a spot and does his business. So now, he's started looking at me before going to sniff to look for an area to pee/poop on. Sometimes he'll sniff a spot and pop his head up and look at me, then I'll say "go potty!" then too. Sometimes I keep moving as well so he doesn't anticipate the permission.

I think that's about it right now that I'm "formally" trying to teach him, though I haven't had the time to really get into Control Unleashed to see in depth what's in there. Stupid life.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lloyd
We have been working on closing the door. He will shove it, if I have the sticky note on there, sometimes actually closing it. So I need to progress to him always closing it and doing it without the sticky note to target.

And, ignoring the geese he hates so much that have come back for the summer.

We've also been working on just refining stuff he already knows. Once it gets nicer out I would like to get teach him to pull a cart.

Allie
I am trying to work on getting her to take things from my hand, with an eventual goal of having her put things in my hand. When we play fetch she will not hand the ball to me, she drops it to the ground (her first owners taught her to drop it on the ground). It annoys me. But, she gets anxiety about handing me things or taking anything from my hand so this is going to take a long time.

I also want to go through all of the control unleashed exercises with Allie.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Cerbie is learning front and finish. I saw a dog do that at an obedience trial at the dog show last year, and I thought it looked cool.

Max is learning to target, I'm wanting to teach him"go to your bed" while we're eating

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Kaki and I are taking it nice and slow.

Currently:
The speed of her 'down'
'Bang'
Chase your tail
Stay

Our "advanced" trick is turn out the lights. It's actually coming along faster than the others because I can get really into with my body by jumping around and such. Kaki learns things like that faster because she's less fearful. Hmm...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Zoey and I are working on Targeting.. I'm hoping to be able to teach her some more complex things with it. I think if I can get her to target whatever I ask her to, maybe I will be able to get her to bring me specific toys like 'bunny' or 'rope'.. :) So far she can target a post-it note... but we only started yesterday LOL..

When the snow melts I'm hoping to work on an off leash recall with her. Not that I'm ever going to let her off leash anywhere- but I want to know that if she -does- get off leash I will still be able to bring her back. My parents have a fenced yard, so I am hoping to take her over there to do the training.
i'm guessing zoey is a lhasa since she is so cute! haha, *biased* i have taught mine not to go out the front door unless a keyword is used and VERY randomly when the door was open , she broke that golden law to get a LEAF:rolleyes: i told her to come back to me with my recall command and she came right in - i was very relieved and also very proud that all the recall training worked perfectly the first time i ever needed it! the second (and latest) time she went out to pee inthe front yard and then started going down the sidewalk and she also came right back to me. :)

right now i'm teaching her how to clean up her toys. i can no longer keep up with all of them all over the place and its not very pleasant to step on a hard nylabone in the morning!

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
In addition to the usual goofy stuff and maintenance of known behaviors, our main focus for the rest of the week is refining stationary heel and front position exercises and directed jumping.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
For Spunky I'm working on post-it targeting with her nose. She's okay with it, I just have trouble getting her to nose the note with greater force. I'm also working on separating her "wave" and her "paw"... She only used to know "paw", so I'm introducing "wave" to distinguish a high one from a low one.

For Honey, I'm almost done with "spin", just need to put a cue on it. Also her recall has kind of dropped in the last few weeks so I'm getting it back up to speed.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sierra - just fine tuning basic obedience off leash. We are hopefully starting agility in April. Working on the recall.

Spike - Recall, recall, recall. And no biting.

Both - Both dogs on leash at same time healing. Skipping the dog park this last week to just go on walks with the three of us. They are doing great.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts