Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Just wondered if you could help me identify the very best dog blogs.
I have begun one myself (dogs.720) and want to connect with them. :wave:

OK, maybe Top 5 if 10 is too many. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I keep noticing regular members posting links to business pages. Is that different from this? I read the rules and did notice where it said, "Please don't post links to your site," and "Only Site Sponsors will be allowed to have Business links in their signatures, all other business links will be considered and treated as spam." I also notice people posting links to newspapers and interesting stories. Wouldn't that be the same as this? I don't want to come across as attacking the rules, I just want to understand them.

·
Super Moderator
11,732 Posts
I keep noticing regular members posting links to business pages.
Do you notice if they are still there the next day? We have a report function.

I also notice people posting links to newspapers and interesting stories. Wouldn't that be the same as this?
It's not the same at all. A link to something of general interest, with no intent of personal gain, would not be considered spam.

Fortunately for the moderators, spammers are usually not too hard to spot. It's hard to be clever when you post the same drivel to hundreds of sites each day. But it's entirely possible that we sometimes guess wrong.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully this means that members will offer up a few of their favorite dog blogs?? (except their own?)
Thanks! I look forward to the help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I understand now. I was just thrown a little because I kind of see blogs as interesting reads or for fun, not really for personal gain. But I do see where that can come into play. The posts to businesses are usually for certain products that the poster uses, like a harness or leash. I wouldn't consider it advertising, or spam, or anything like that. I think they are for information or to help the OP out on the question. Sorry if I offended you. I just want to understand better for the future. Thanks for explaining it to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,732 Posts
Just to be clear, a link intended to drive traffic to a particular site would be treated as spam. It doesn't have to be an ad for a product or an item for sale. It might be a link to a YouTube video. (I myself have posted a link to a YouTube video or two, but it wasn't my first or my 100th post.) Or it might be a link to a photo contest or a request for votes. It might be a survey from an alleged grad student doing a marking study. It might even be a petition for a particular cause.

I can't speak for the other moderators but I define spam pretty broadly.

If someone is an obvious spammer (as in, "Hey, I just stumbled across this great online petstore, so I hopped right over to dogforums and registered just so I could tell you all about it.") they are likely to get immediately and permanently banned. If the spam appears to be incidental, it's likely to be removed with a warning to please read the rules.

I am astounded at the members who will post something and then say, "If this is against the rules, moderators please delete." Why not just read the rules first?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts