Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught Scout doing the stomp and dig thing today and began wondering why dogs (and other canids) do this. All I can think of is that they are trying to spook their prey into moving but in this case she was just ripping up roots.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I like the movie. I think you're right that he's trying to startle his prey... mine does that with crickets in the grass :)
I think he smells something that ... might be... prey, so he's trying to startle it... so the roots will get up and run :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've only seen Kaki do that once. She had a rat trapped in the roots of a shrub. She started digging, barking, and stomped. The rat went climbing up a wall(ew...) when he realized that the safety of the shrub had been breached.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
That's awesome. Wish Wally did some stuff like this - you know, act like a dog LOL

I still think he's a cat in dog's clothing. He slaps his paws on the ground, but nothing like what was in the video. Closest thing he ever did to being "predatory" (other than chasing squirrels) is when something was in the garden at night and he barked at it and when it moved, he took off after it. I still don't know what it was, but he saw it.

He never did anything like this video - thanks for sharing, that was fun to watch :)

·
Banned
964 Posts
There is one spot in my yard that has an underground Yellow Jacket nest.
Thats the spot that Roxxie digs at.
Im fencing it off this weekend and getting rid of it before summer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is one spot in my yard that has an underground Yellow Jacket nest.
Thats the spot that Roxxie digs at.
Im fencing it off this weekend and getting rid of it before summer.
Not only does that sound dangerous for Roxxie, those damn thing can ruin a good BBQ...

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
LOL Love the vid. I have no theories though, but Caeda does the same thing to ice in front of our house, especially if you point at something under the ice:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Love the vid. I have no theories though, but Caeda does the same thing to ice in front of our house, especially if you point at something under the ice:
That's awesome!!! but the part when she starts chewing the ice, it send chills up my spine. Like nails on a chalkboard!:laugh:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Eppy does this too. I've encouraged it by sitting on the floor with my legs out in front of me and a toy hidden under them. I ask him to "pounce" and he does that jump to get at the toy. I have to move my legs fast or I risk getting hurt.

He started pouncing young. Here he is, only 9 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've seen National Geographic episodes where fox do this when trying to catch mole, or something like that.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Huh, Sydney does something kind of like this when chasing bugs. I think most play for dogs is modified hunting behavior.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Puck does this when "hunting" toads and bugs in the back yard and also sometimes on our bed when he's trying to get us or the cats to play.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Hope does it along my back fence.. There is some kind of critter that rustles around right in the other side, and she pounces up and down all along the fence to try to get it moving when she can't hear it rustling anymore.. Then she goes back to sniffing at it through the fence and pawing dirt.. ;)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Huh, Sydney does something kind of like this when chasing bugs. I think most play for dogs is modified hunting behavior.
Yeah, I've read that play is a chance to practice adult/hunting behaviors in a safe environment as well as learning canine social rules and such.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
hahahaha----some of the cutest/funniest things I've seen in a long time!

The farm dogs used to do that - many times to see over the tall grass, so I always thought it was so they could see from a higher vantage point..? Amusing to watch whatever the reason!

Zoey does that when she finds a spider on the carpet, and then she eats it. Such a good girl!
I wish Bella would do that for me...she's as scared of them as I am....LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts