Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lulu does little droplets of urine even though she just peed at her walk. I'm very sure they are not drips leftover. Her usual pee looks normal (usually it's very yellow) and a good sized puddle. There's no blood. She doesn't seem in pain except she keeps licking her pee outlet (not sure what the correct name is... I thought it's a normal hygiene thing dogs do). I did notice dark residue at the pee outlet though. Everything else seems ok. No fever, appetite's fine etc...

So does my dog look like she has UTI? How does this affect toilet training?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Yes, I would have her checked. Puppy vaginitis is common, uti is also common...if she's licking at it, it is bothering her and that is enough of a sign that there is an issue. As for housetraining, if it is a uti then she may have to pee more frequently while being treated, so more frequent trips outside and be understanding if she does have accidents. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do I need to collect her urine sample before we go to the vet? How is the test done?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
It is best to collect it yourself if you can, first pee of the morning is best (most concentrated). You can use a ladle or a aluminum pie pan (folded into a v) to grab a teaspoon or so, immediately put it in a sterile container and refrigerate and drop off at your vet asap. They can run the urine and see you later for an appt for exam. It's much easier and better sample than trying to pull one from her at the time of appt. Since she's so little I would use a clean plastic ladle, so you don't have to get right down beside her as much...sometimes this makes the pup shy and she won't pee. (been there..done that)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts