Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most dogs I've owned were gentle.I've had dogs that scared people due to their size,but they were really lap dogs. My favorite one was a female Bull Mastiff. Gentle as a lamb.A funny story when my wife and I were dating,my wife to be was sitting beside me.Ginger looked at her,got behind her and pushed her off with her feet! I also like hounds,never seen a bad one,always friendly.Golden Retrievers,great dogs. Collies are gentle.So far I would rule a Golden Retriever to be the friendlyist dog.What would you say?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Most of the dogs we had had a guarded attitude towards strangers but the Labrador we had a few years ago would just wag his tail to a burgler! Labs are really freindly dogs and our one was certainly the freindliest dog we've owned.
We also had a friends BC staying over for a few months and he was really friendly too, but I guess not as freindly as our Lab.

·
Banned
342 Posts
I once owned a pitbull that NEVER became agressive and could take endless abuse from my other dogs without ever a growl or using his teeth,

:)

·
Registered
521 Posts
Our BC loves everybody and most other dogs. Her only problem is, phsically she is a hard dog and when she greets people, she does not jump on them, but paws at them and that is as uncomfortable as most dogs jumping on you lol.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think most dogs will have a barking,guarded attention towards strangers.Even my hounds did that.And some people dogs tend to be aggressive towards some people more than others.I can't explain it.But for the most part,my dogs have welcomed strangers,once they knew them.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
My sister in law has the sweetest little Cavachon.. She's the gentlest little thing ever. I would say Zoey (my lhasa) is gentle in general, but she can be quite the little terrorist at times too.. lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Blackie, once he matured, became a very gentle dog. As a young dog (four years and under) he was a TERROR, but now at the ripe old age of 13 he definitally knows how to handle people and children.

I have to say, one of the most gentle dogs of mine was "our" Alasken Malamute. She probably weighed over 200lbs, yet I never remember her ever knocking one of us kids over or hurting us in anyway. She was all kisses and wags. Man, I miss that dog.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
She isn't my dog, but a friend of mine used to have a gorgeous Golden retriever named Caramel who was the sweetest, gentlest dog ever.

I was with my friend and Caramel, who's off leash in the cul de sac we live in, this toddler comes up to Caramel. Caramel licks his face, and the toddler proceeds to jam a bunch of flowers that were in his hand into Caramel's mouth. Then he grabs her "bwig shwarp tweeth" and pokes at the black spots on her tongue, and the whole while Caramel is standing there, wagging her tail, and trying to keep her mouth as wide open as she can. Not a barker, either. Just a quiet, gentle girl.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I think most dogs will have a barking,guarded attention towards strangers.Even my hounds did that.And some people dogs tend to be aggressive towards some people more than others.I can't explain it.But for the most part,my dogs have welcomed strangers,once they knew them.
Weird because my Pits don't have a barking, guarded attitude towards strangers. They have more of a pet, pet, pet me please I want to lick you attitude while they wag their whole body. Not all dogs are alike.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
My Golden is, without a doubt, the friendliest dog I've had. Everybody he meets is his BFF. I wouldn't exactly call him gentle, though. He wags so hard that he slams is hind end into your legs pretty hard.

My Rotty male was half Hell Hound, and half puddin'. If there was a threat, he was a serious piece o' work. OTOH, with little kids and old people he was very gentle. When my niece was toddling, she used to lead him around by his tongue. That started when she was about 6 months old and the dog tried to lick her. She grabbed his tongue and he just left it laying out there for as long as she wanted to hold it. When she was learning to walk, she used his tongue to steady herself, and he'd just follow her around. The most ridiculous looking thing I've ever seen. I really miss that dog.

The overall gentlest, but the least people-friendly, dog I had was my Dane bitch. She was as close to the proverbial "one man dog" as I've ever seen, but she tolerated everyone politely. She was extremely careful with her great strength and size, though.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'd say Labs, Goldens, and Standard Poodles... but those are the only breeds I've owned! :D So gentle and good with children, all of them. Standard Poodles need to be well socialized... Labs and Goldens come "insta-socialized." :D

·
Registered
261 Posts
my english mastiff is hands down the most gentle dog. She is great with kids, cats and dogs. The only thing that is scarry about her is her size. She has barked once at a stranger and I took her warning to heart because she had never done it before. I trust her more than people.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Only breeds I have owned are toy poodles and collies.

Both (breeds) were very friendly but in different ways.

The poodles were all kisses and tail wags and never met a stranger. Even our old poodle who was 100% blind never met a stranger. she would sniff them out and climb all over them. She was such a love.

The collies are friendly, but in their own way. never were to be fawned over. but never agressive. Blaze will tolerate anything being done to him. He will just stand there. children hug all over him when they meet him, he just stands like a statue. he doesnt go out of his way to meet people. I doubt he would ever harm any one. Only time he ever went after any one was, when i was out front reading a book, he was laying beside me on the porch. and a group of teens walked by on the side walk. started barking at him, i told them to knock it off, then 3 of them LUNGED on to the drive way barking and jumping around, and kept lunging, closer and closer (and our drive way is very short can only fit one car on each side of it), before I could do a thing blaze juped up so fast and just charged them, chased themdown the street nipping at their heels. No idea what was going on in his mind, probably that those 3 idiots were going to harm me, him, or somthing else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We fostered a Great Dane. He was awesome. They truly are gentle giants.
And my German Shepherd Dogs. I have yet to have one with aggression issues. Loyal to a T and superb with kids.

But as with any breed it depends on the socialization they receive along with obedience training and genetics.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Susie is one of the friendliest dogs I have had, probably from her Bernese mother. She has never growled or showed any aggression to other dogs even when they jumped all over her. She was not raised around children but when we were camping, a friend had a two year old little girl. She started to wander away and Susie very gently walked across in front of her and kept her from going farther. The little girl was getting quite frustrated as every time she tried to go around Susie, Susie would step in front of her, never touching her. It was so interesting to watch. She barks when people come into the yard and sounds a little fierce, but never bothers them when they come in, just wants to be patted. Sometimes I wish she wouldn't think everyone is her friend.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
My German Shepherd Dog is the friendliest dog I have ever had.

The gentlest dog I ever had was my last German Shepherd.. tho at my command that could change.. except with little kids. She let little kids do ANYTHING to her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My mom has an 85lb. purebread boxer that thinks it's a tiny chihuahua. She sleeps on the couch and curls into this tiny ball... well, she thinks it's tiny, she still takes up one whole cushion. And you say "Daisy, moooooooove!" and she looks up at you like "I DID! Can't you see how small I've become?!" I don't think she's ever given a mean look to ANYTHING. She's the happiest most gentle dog I've ever seen. lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts