Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog is incredibly feisty and rowdy though I love his spazzy personality he needs to calm down his aggression outdoors towards pets and other animals. I have an old neighbor who's dog was somewhat like mine he recommended I neuter him 1) because it has health benefits and 2) it will help calm him down he also said because he's never mated before it could be the cause of some his craziness. :p

I've heard this multiple times I was just wondering if there are actual percentages on this. Like is there a 50% he'll calm down, 80%, 90%....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'd not bet on it. There really isn't a way at all anyone can give you an accurate % of chances like that. It is an old wives tail for the most part, just like the one about letting a female have a litter will calm her down.

What is your dogs breed(s) if known. This can play a role in his personality.

What about age?

1) True there are some health benefits and health risk of neuter. Such is the same with being intact. There are different risk so I don't see that as a huge factor. Trading one set for another.

2) What do you mean aggression towards other animals/pets? Just dogs or small animals. Many dogs have prey drive so will go after small animals. As well as dog aggression which can be caused by a number of reasons. You should rely on training rather then a surgery to help these issues. Possibly look for someone in your area to help. There is a chance if he is showing some male to male aggression that this will lesson with a neuter if it is more hormone driven. Again though there are different causes for dogs to be reactive/aggressive.

What do you mean by "craziness" I have males that have both been bred and other never been bred and never will be. Not really sure I understand craziness, spazzy. Specifics would really help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok well when we go outside he lunges, barks, etc... he just goes bizark. Not to mention from the time he was a puppy the neighborhood kids would shake sticks at him or tease/taunt him. In the house he barks all of the time if he hears the slightest noise, even if it is someone going into the bathroom (unless it's me). If you're in our home he'll bark at you come up and sniff and thats that- sometimes he's just quiet and will check you out. But when it comes to the outdoors ... game over. He's never bit anyone or growled/snarled. Barking, lunging and running around each time I luckily hold him back.

I just want a quiet, happy life for him and me.

He is part Rottweiler/Border Collie and dad is Blue Heeler. I own both his parents (except Daddy lives with another family member now) but his mom is incredibly affectionate, gentle and sweet very few times maybe 2x her whole life has she lunged at anyone or snapped- she will be 7 in June. Daddy is a little more chaotic he likes to chase and tackle other small animals, he was previously abused before I got him but he'd never just hurt anyone out of the blue.

Oh and the times she(momma) ever lunged at a person was when she felt threatened.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
it sounds like the dog needs some serious obedience training and lots of excercize at least 2 hours a day of mind games and training

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
hide and go seek. show him a treat and then hide it behind something and tell him to "go get it" then gradualy hide the treat farther away and in harder spots. It will really get his brain going also works as a memory game because once you work him up to a more complecated game he will have to remember where he has already looked.

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
My dog is incredibly feisty and rowdy though I love his spazzy personality he needs to calm down his aggression outdoors towards pets and other animals. I have an old neighbor who's dog was somewhat like mine he recommended I neuter him 1) because it has health benefits and 2) it will help calm him down he also said because he's never mated before it could be the cause of some his craziness. :p

I've heard this multiple times I was just wondering if there are actual percentages on this. Like is there a 50% he'll calm down, 80%, 90%....

Neutering would not be a bad idea. However if I was going to bet, I would say that neutering him will not do squat to tone him down.

He needs training and excercise. With the mixes he is, you have some challenges. Lots of drive.... Hopefully the Rottie will come through some and chill him out a bit.

Here is a good book for a dog like yours.

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB1061

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The title of that book made me laugh.

I'll order that one, other then that though any suggestions for the training part? I don't mind the hyperactivity *that much* toning down a bit would be great but his nutso behavior outside is what scares me I don't even dare take him to the vet. :(

And if this matters at all, his aggression more than likely stems from fear. He was never quite socialized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts