Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago when my oldest grandchild was 4 she was at my house for the weekend. She got this doll out of the toy box that the dog had chewed on, it was missing both feet and a hand. I told her oh no Kalee that baby is broken. She looked at me and very seriously told me " no grandma, she is handicapped !!

Another time we were on a long drive and I scolded Kalee for something, can't remember what now. She then told me : grandma I have to question your authority on that ! SHe was 6 years old at the time !

Just the other day after Olivias surgery we explained to her that the dr had to put a little hole in her tummy to take out the icky part making her sick. Well then I guess she was worried that if she drank water (or fluids ) they were going to leak out the "hole"

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hopefully, I'm not old enough to have a grandkid or even a kid, but my niece is pretty awesome.
She says some neat things, especially about my animals, but I remember some years back (when she was 4) we were discussing putting a collar and leash on Troubles.
She says "Why doesn't he walk on a leash?"
I said 'Well, he doesn't like it very much. I'm not sure why.'
She replies "I think he simply needs some assimilation. He should learn than it's good." Assimilation? what? You're 4!

She came to visit in the summer and I took her to the river that runs close to my home. We were headed back up to cut through a wooded area when we heard a puppy cry. I know that I asked at least one person for advice on this subject, but my neighbors, at some point during the summer, acquired a malinois puppy. (which, at first I thought was a GSD) He had no food, no water, no toys, no shelter, and was being kept on a tie out in their yard, all day and all night. No interaction, long nails, etc. The basic 'oh lets get a puppy and throw it outside' act. Anyway, we hear this puppy crying and go to him. She holds him (she's 9 now) while I untangled him from a trampoline, and she remains with him while I got to get some water for him. We went back home, pretty upset over it, and she says "Why won't they take care of him?" I say, "I don't know, Kaley. Some people just don't care." But she says nothing after that.
We come back to check on him a few days later, and he's crying again in the same situation. This is how our conversation goes:
"We need to help him. We should call someone. Will you call someone?"
I said "I don't know... they might not do anything."
She says, "Well, you should try. How will you know if you don't try? If everybody sits back and does nothing, then nothing will ever get done and he'll never get help. Somebody should do something for him. People should help."
Pretty wise words from a 9 year old. Got me thinking enough to prompt me to get something done about the situation.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was on a bus in Portland when my kids were very small. One daughter informed me that daddy ( we were divorced ) had to go to the dr to get a bone taken out. My oldest said noooooo kim he just went to get neutered !!! I laughed so hard I about peed myself on the bus , when I asked thier dad about it later he had a good laugh and informed me it was the dog that he had taken in to get neutered !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts