Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just incase Kodas drinking is caused by his kidneys ( ill know friday )
What are some low-protein kibble brands?

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
California Natural
Natural Balance
Now! has a few lower protein foods, and Go!
Acana Singles line (25%)
Canine Caviar Special Needs
Blue Buffalo has some lower protein formulas

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
How low is low protein? Two of the TOTW formulas are around 25% and I think 4Health is around there too. I'd just look through the ratings on dogfoodadvisor.com as a starting point.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not sure tbh, thinking outside the box incase somethings wrong with his kidneys. His pro-series currently has 26%

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not sure about commercial low-protein, but a kidney diet is more about low phosphorous, than low protein. We went home cooked, because mine has pancreatitis in addition to kidney failure so I had to tailor the diet to accommodate both issues.

I'm posting a link to Dogaware.com. It is a site owned and maintained by a nutritionist who specializes in kidney issues. She has some recommended commercial foods on her site as well. Lots of good information. The site owner, Mary will answer questions and has an e-mail address posted on the site. If Kodas does have kidney issues, consider adding CoQ10 and Omega 3 to his diet. Someone recommended them to me and I have seen a wonderful turn around in her tests, well being and over-all demeanor. http://www.dogaware.com/

Let us know how he makes out.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure about commercial low-protein, but a kidney diet is more about low phosphorous, than low protein. We went home cooked, because mine has pancreatitis in addition to kidney failure so I had to tailor the diet to accommodate both issues.

I'm posting a link to Dogaware.com. It is a site owned and maintained by a nutritionist who specializes in kidney issues. She has some recommended commercial foods on her site as well. Lots of good information. The site owner, Mary will answer questions and has an e-mail address posted on the site. If Kodas does have kidney issues, consider adding CoQ10 and Omega 3 to his diet. Someone recommended them to me and I have seen a wonderful turn around in her tests, well being and over-all demeanor. http://www.dogaware.com/

Let us know how he makes out.
Thank you so much for the link, im trying to gather as much information as possible for all possible cases. Im hoping he just likes water ( the vet even suggested it ) but, my over protecting pet owner self has brought me to tears all day worrying about him.

I was also wondering, this all started when I moved and my sister had to care for him and still is. She rewards him treats everytime he goes out, a part of me is wondering if he got this routine in his head that he has to drink and pee to get a treat. And now, were he doesnt get treats for going out that its just stuck in his head?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thank you so much for the link, im trying to gather as much information as possible for all possible cases. Im hoping he just likes water ( the vet even suggested it ) but, my over protecting pet owner self has brought me to tears all day worrying about him.

I was also wondering, this all started when I moved and my sister had to care for him and still is. She rewards him treats everytime he goes out, a part of me is wondering if he got this routine in his head that he has to drink and pee to get a treat. And now, were he doesnt get treats for going out that its just stuck in his head?
hmmm, my initial reaction is probably not, but I guess it's possible. Conditioning and routine can certainly have that affect, though I've never had a dog drink and pee just to get a treat. Mine get potty breaks at noon, come in, get their treat, and they always drink after getting a treat...... so, yeah, its a plausible theory.

I do look for excessive pee and drinking. When Galaxy first started, she was drinking and peeing roughly every two hours, day and night. The vet did a urinalysis which showed she was leaking creatinine and her routine blood panels (for pancreatitis), also showed elevated BUN and phosphorous levels. As her kidneys went further into failure, she began drinking every hour and having lots of accidents. Since I lowered her phosphorous levels and added CoQ10 and Omega 3 along with her normal meds (blood pressure and phosphorous binders), she is almost back to normal again. She now drinks every 2-3 hours and has rare accidents.

It is important to make sure there is plenty of fresh water available. I never restricted Galaxy on her water intake. With any kidney issue, they need to stay hydrated and flush those kidneys.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm, my initial reaction is probably not, but I guess it's possible. Conditioning and routine can certainly have that affect, though I've never had a dog drink and pee just to get a treat. Mine get potty breaks at noon, come in, get their treat, and they always drink after getting a treat...... so, yeah, its a plausible theory.

I do look for excessive pee and drinking. When Galaxy first started, she was drinking and peeing roughly every two hours, day and night. The vet did a urinalysis which showed she was leaking creatinine and her routine blood panels (for pancreatitis), also showed elevated BUN and phosphorous levels. As her kidneys went further into failure, she began drinking every hour and having lots of accidents. Since I lowered her phosphorous levels and added CoQ10 and Omega 3 along with her normal meds (blood pressure and phosphorous binders), she is almost back to normal again. She now drinks every 2-3 hours and has rare accidents.

It is important to make sure there is plenty of fresh water available. I never restricted Galaxy on her water intake. With any kidney issue, they need to stay hydrated and flush those kidneys.
No way will I ever take away his water bowl, drinking like a camel or not :)
Just curious, how much do you pay for a full blood work pannel. ? She tried to get me to do it for 250

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
$250 is about what I pay for the panel. The urinalysis is another $ 75. It's expensive, but it's the only way I can monitor her progress or lack there-of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts