Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to start giving raw beef ribs once a week to my dogs in order to help clean their teeth a little bit. I do not trust rawhide, nylon bones, and bully sticks are too expensive. Some people on another forum recommended that I give back beef ribs to my dogs.

I told my dad today to get me some back beef ribs from the store and he brought me some finger ribs. He went to two different grocery stores and he said that all they had were pork ribs (too expensive) and finger ribs ($1.49/lb.).

What exactly are finger ribs? Are they the same thing as back beef ribs? Can I give these finger ribs to my dogs? Also should I take the meat away or just give them as is? My dogs have never eaten raw in their life before.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
The bones should be fine. Ribs are ribs.

Since your dogs never had raw before you might want to get ready for some diarrhea and possible vomiting so don't give them too much to start off.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
How big are they? From what I can find, they're just small ribs. If your dogs are small, that could work. If your dogs are big, I might worry about them choking. Just eyeball them and see if they look like the right size for your dogs.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Finger ribs, are just small ribs, size of a finger. They can be either pork or beef, so the packaging should indicate which.

Don't take the meat away, let them eat as is. I would monitor them, to make sure they are not trying to swallow whole. And like it has already been said, since they have not had any raw food before, they could have upset stomachs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I really wouldn't feed ribs as a first bone - the jaws won't be strong enough. Have you thought about Chicken instead? Much softer. It will get the jaws in shape for tough bones.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My dogs don't eat beef ribs, just chew on them. Are they supposed to be able to crunch them?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Not beef ribs Willowy - And they could break a tooth if they attempted. I know that some fed Lamb ribs because they are softer. I personally don't feed ribs at all. Too much of a choking hazard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How big are they? From what I can find, they're just small ribs. If your dogs are small, that could work. If your dogs are big, I might worry about them choking. Just eyeball them and see if they look like the right size for your dogs.
The ribs look pretty long. I do have a small hand and fingers though so I would say that the ribs are 4-6 inches long. They are already seperated which is great I guess because I don't have to worry about cutting them. I have 6 dogs so I will give one meaty rib to each.

I am a little nervous about them trying to break the rib bones. I just hope that their instinct leads them to properly eat the ribs.

Are the dogs supposes to slowly wear down the rib bone and eventually eat the whole rib bone just like they eat rawhide bones and bully sticks? Or are the rib bones impossible to eat or chew down? Should I follow the same rules as rawhide bones which is to take away any small pieces that are big enough to swallow?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We gave snowball a piece (~8" long, 2" wide) of beef rib from the butcher's. It was mostly cleaned of meat already, but Snowy cleaned the rest off, chewed on it, and stashed it under the blankets in his crate for safe keeping. He occasionally pulls it out and gnaws on it, and then puts it away again. I've never heard not to give beef ribs, as they're not a weight bearing bone so aren't as strong/hard as shin/shank/marrow bones/soup bones, and that rib is completely digestible.

Definitely supervise your dogs when you give them the bones the first time, and to be safe, I'd remove any pieces that are small enough to (attempt to) swallow.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
All beef bones are hard enough to damage teeth. If you get them fresh, they are much softer. Also a younger animal (veal) will have softer bones as well. Larger dogs can usually handle beef ribs and chomp through them but they're too hard for my dogs. Depends on the bones, depends on the dogs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts