Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a rescued mutt of a chiweenie mix. So he's short hair and about 17 lbs.
I've had him for about 1.5 yrs.
He has always shed which I know is normal but he's been shedding more in the last few months. He has also been licking between his toes/paws a lot to the point they get red. We don't have grass so it's not a chemical or ferlizer issue, we have a cement patio and artificial turf. This has been happening on/off for months.
When I took him in for his shots last month they said it was likely food issues but nothing obvious they could see.
I've switched to a grain free dry food almost a year ago since that seemed logical.
I haven't kept him sctrictly on the same food because he is ridiculously picky and tends to stop eating the same food after a 5 lb bag is almost done so I have rotated Fromm, Whole Earth farms, and Nutro most recently.
I'm not sure what ingredients I should specifically be targeting at this point to see what might be causing this.
Is there a list of common foods that cause these symptoms of increased shedding and sensitive skin so I can try an elimination trial?
Thanks

·
Registered
693 Posts
My lab has seizures and we switched her food per the vet back in May. She has been seizure free since. We switched from cheap store brand to Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredient..which has NO: Corn, Wheat, Soy, Dairy, or eggs. I know shes not reactive to Dairy or eggs. I dont know beyond that and theres no easy way so we will stick with this food! I wish i had a better answer for you! Food switch is cheaper than allergy or seizure meds!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts