Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shelter we adopted Oly from said he is a shepherd mix but mixed with what is the question. We have heard Pharaoh hound, great dane, pit, pointer and a few more from people we meet. He is four months and weighs in at 34lbs, a month ago when we adopted him he was 14lbs, if that helps any.

I will try to get some pics of him standing and running soon.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
183 Posts
not a clue but hes lovely :p

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Pharaoh Hound you can pretty much rule out. The breed is rare enough in it's pure form - not likely you'll find any true mixes in the shelters.

It's easier to make breed guesses when the dogs are a bit older but I think generally he just looks like a mix of a mix. A cutie definitely but probably made up a few different breeds - there's really no way of telling. Looks like he's going to be a fairly big guy though :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the compliments. I was thinking of having the vet do a DNA test but I think it cost somewhere around $150 or so. Have any of you ever had this done?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Thanks for all of the compliments. I was thinking of having the vet do a DNA test but I think it cost somewhere around $150 or so. Have any of you ever had this done?
I see a GSD nose, and I agree with maybe some collie. Maybe some boxer or something for the smooth coat? I don't think pit..his head is too slim. His cheeks might go out, though.
About the DNA test, the vet tech told us to do one on one of our dogs, but I think they're kind of a scam. I don't know if anyone on here has tried one..but I stick to looking in breed books.
He's super cute, BTW. And WOW, he grew 20 lbs in a month?? You're going to have a big boy.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry, I have no idea really except for that he is deffiantally not a Pharoh Hound. Those are extremly rare. I really wouldn't waste my money on a DNA test. He is a dog, and a handsom one too, that is all I would worry about.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The DNA test isn't worth it and I'd venture to guess that your dog would return with very little information as to which breeds are in there. He is probably a *very* mutty mutt. Spend the $150 on something fun, like new toys or training classes.

He is cute, though :)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The DNA test isn't worth it and I'd venture to guess that your dog would return with very little information as to which breeds are in there. He is probably a *very* mutty mutt. Spend the $150 on something fun, like new toys or training classes.
Agreed!

And yes, he is just beyond adorable! Such a smoochable face!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts