Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'll be pretty honest here... My dogs don't get walked as much as they should. In fact, it's rare that they're walked, and I'll tell you why.

Every freaking time we walk, we are accosted by other dogs. If I leave my yard and take a left, it's intact pit bulls and a couple of small furry dogs (two doors down are a pack of miniature pinschers that are HORRIBLE). If I take a right, it's a Doberman that lives outside and breaks its chain EVERY TIME I walk past. When I can successfully pass the Doberman and take a right, I get two more streets down and there are more aggressive intact pit bulls. If I go straight, there are a couple of other pit bulls that are never leashed/chained. At some point, I have to get back to my house and have to deal with all of those stupid dogs again.

After our group training session this afternoon, I decided to walk Clyde (my rottweiler). He was pretty worn out after training, so the walk was to be fairly short. We were doing fine, going at a brisk pace, and what happens. The freaking Doberman breaks its chain. The two kids run after it, but it's much more interested in me & Clyde. The adult owner came out and was like, "oh, it's okay; he's friendly" and walked off. Their Doberman WOULD NOT leave us alone. I was fussing at it and kicked it a couple of times. The Doberman is running all over the street, and there was plenty of traffic today. I felt bad for the kids; they were very apologetic and I was not nice to them. I know it's not their fault, but dammit, I was frustrated.

After about 5 minutes of me trying to get Clyde walking again, and Clyde being jumped on, the Doberman lost interest. We were almost to the end of the street, and a pitbull comes charging, snarling at us. At the house directly next door to the pit bull is another mixed breed on a chain that is also going crazy.

Fortunately at this point, my DH pulls up in the truck; he'd been ~1/4 mile behind Clyde and I walking our 18# terrier (Stixxx). When he saw the Doberman out, he ran back home and got the truck to come get us. I was so frustrated/angry that I was shaking and nearly in tears; I got Clyde in the truck and we headed home.

I really, really, really, really, really hate that I can't walk my freaking dogs. I intend to call Animal Control in the morning (they're not in on the weekends) but I doubt anything will happen. I've reported owners before and nobody seems to give a shit.

I bring Clyde to my front yard and throw the frisbee/ball and do obedience exercises with him, but I know that's not enough. What else can I do for him? Out of my five dogs, he needs walks the most, but I really am uncomfortable and anxious walking him; it's not enjoyable for either of us.

Fortunately, he's not aggressive at all towards other dogs, or I'd really have a problem on my hands... Oh, and right now, moving is not optional. As much as I'd love to get out of this neighborhood, I'm going to have to deal with my trashy redneck neighbors for the time being. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
I feel for you - your neighbor hood sounds alot like mine

Is there someplace you can drive to for a walk? Park, forest preserve ?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I know how you feel. which is why I hardly ever walk my dog in my neighboor hood. I have taken to driving 5 miniutes north of us to the conservation/dog park every day.
If you have a dog park or a conservation to walk in. Would it be possible to drive him to one of those?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not comfortable going to dog parks, but there is a park in town I could go to. I think there's a national forest a few miles from me; I'll look in to that as well.

It just sucks that I have to do that and not just live in a normal neighborhood where I can walk my freaking dogs.

I am LIVID about this still. I can't stop thinking about it... and I really can't wait to get the eff out of this 'hood. It is going to hell in a hand basket, and quickly too. :mad:

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you walk alone, do the dogs charge at you? They did at my house, so I walked outside alone for about a week. I carried a walking stick (actually just a 5' piece of pipe). Anytime a dog even looked my way, I would chase/make noise/wave the stick until the dogs retreated, and I would go a little futher just for good measure.

Now when I walk my dogs, I bring my walking stick. Any neighbor dog that sees them will take one look at me and haul butt in the opposite direction.

That may not work for you, but I thought I would share anyway.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I feel you, and I know the feeling. That's why we have some of our property fenced in for the dogs, because walking them isn't a good idea. While our small town, and my street, is very very safe, it's also loaded with loose country dogs. There's two pit bulls, a chocolate lab, a dalmation mix, a chinese crested, 2 dachshunds and a chihuahua that roam our street. The two pit bulls and the chocolate lab are very aggressive, and very large. So I really don't walk my dogs, and I only walk my foster pit bull when he comes over. But it's hard to do with him, with the other dogs around.

So for all my guys, which are mainly small dogs, they go out in the yard for hours and run track around the yard, chase each other, play fetch, frisbee, ect. and are worn out by the time they come in.

For your big guy though, I'd try maybe a park away from your home, and walk him around that area. It'd be more safe than taking any chances walking your street with him, as I'd be afraid he'd get attacked and injured.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I'm sorry that walks are such bad experiences for you. I wouldn't want to walk my dogs in that environment either. :(

Like others said, maybe you could drive somewhere to walk him.

·
Banned
251 Posts
My sympathies - it sucks EXTRA when you're the owner of a "mean breed" and you're being accosted by mini pinschers... ;)

People cross the road to avoid my rott mix, who's the sweetest thing ever - and yet they used to come running to faun all over the aggressive pom we rescued - and who would take your finger off just for $hits and giggles.

I agree with the previous posters regarding nature areas, etc, and I would add dog repellant to your pack as well. You used to be able to purchase it at PetSmart. While I wouldn't advise using it against dogs like the Doberman (who didn't sound dangerous from your description - perhaps lemon spray would be sufficient) I would have no qualms whatsoever about pepper spraying an aggressive, off leash, charging dog.

Yes, I realize it's not the dog's fault - but in the long run it may actually make the dog think twice about charging out in traffic at the next person, thereby saving an injury, be it to the dog in question or the target dog.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I hear you Monica. I deal with that here too. I am sick to death of people allowing their dogs to run with no concern for either their safety or other peoples and their dogs. I am unfortunately in a village with no ACO but I am literally blocks away from the city limits that my friend who is an ACO works. Needless to say a few people have gotten fines for having their dogs running at large. Several dogs have been declared dangerous as well so they were forced to leave the city limits or be PTS. Stricter laws need to be enforced. I suggest you call your Alderman in your area and make some complains. It wouldn't be the worst idea to start a petition for stricter enforcement and take that to your Alderman. People need to band together to get their streets safe for walking. If people know they will be fined and fined heavily they will suddenly take keeping their dogs in their own yards very seriously. People should NOT have to live in fear in their own neighborhoods.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I hear that Monica and its why i dont frequent half the places i used to with my dogs.
I live right by a really nice park but i never go due to the abundance of unleashed staffordshire bull terriers!,its my favourite breed but i can so easily understand why so many people here hate them because hardly anyone puts thiers on a leash and its not fair on responsible owners.

Ive gotten into quite a few arguments even fights where ive had to knock people out because thier dogs have attacked my old dog.

The coservation park sounds like your best bet so try it out.
Im sorry your feeling down about it and i hope things change and you can walk your dogs in peace like you should always be able to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts