Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i take my pup out and let her sniff etc for about half an hour and she does nothing but then she comes back in and does it our room,what can i do any different?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Wait 45 minutes?

I'm not being silly. If half an hour doesn't work, wait longer. If you see her going inside, take her immediately back out, even if you just got back in. Be sure to clean every place she has peed with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If she can smell her pee inside, she'll think inside is the place to go.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You're welcome. This is why I don't do puppies. Potty training is really hard work and everyone gets frustrated by it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
If you can catch her peeing in the house don't just drag her outside, PICK HER UP (usually they'll stop peeing) and carry her out. The few times my puppy peed in the house I discovered that picking him up and carrying him out (onto the grass and giving him the command once I put him down) was much more effective than waiting until he is done (or not) and taking him out on a leash.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
1) Watch her more closely in the house so you can interrupt her if she does go, and then take her outside.
2) Reward her lavishly when she does go outside.
3) Use a crate when you can't watch her closely enough.
4) Give yourself a 10min timeout, staring at the corner of the wall, if you don't catch her indoors in time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
there is certain areas that she only does this in so shutting her off from these areas when i think she is going to do anything which appears to be helping but was abit naughty this aft and hid behind the sofa and did it instead

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I actually think that waiting and waiting and waiting can cause more problems than it solves. Being outside and getting to sniff around in the grass is like the best thing ever for a puppy. But as soon as she goes, you bring her back inside. The pup is learning that if she delays peeing, she gets more outside time with mom (or dad?). Why would she ever go when you want her to?

My recommendation would be to go out more frequently but bring her back in after a minute if she doesn't pee. Treats happen INSIDE and only after she successfully pees outside. You can have separate play time outside. You could even make this a reward for successfully peeing!

Eventually, you want to get the behavior on command. I can let my dog out, give the command, and have her back inside, all within 10 seconds - very convenient when it's pouring cats and dogs, or if I'm in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I always took my pup/new dogs outside on leash and kept them in the same area (I stood still and they walked around me to find a spot to go). If they didn't go within 5 minutes, back inside to the crate, wait a little bit, and try again. If they went outside, TONS of praise and treats right then and there, and then they got to go play. They also got a treat once they came back inside too, so they learned that coming inside is a good thing.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with the last two people. Don't wait and wait. Take her out for 5 minutes. If she doesn't do anything, bring her in. Wait inside 5 minutes, and then try again outside. But, watch her like a hawk, so that if she DOES start to go inside you can rush her out.

Giving her all that outside time is fun for her. And, while outside time is important, she needs to learn the difference between outside playtime and outside potty time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
First: are you crate training?
Second: how old is your puppy?
Third: how often are you taking her outside?

More detail is always helpful if you want the best advice.

If she's really young she needs to go out frequently, after coming out of the crate, after eating, after short playing sessions, and after short training sessions. Playing can stimulate the need to go in a puppy, so you could try using that... if she doesn't go outside, take her back in, play with her actively for 5 minutes, take her back out again and see what happens.

But definitely don't wait with her forever. As others have said, you should take her to a designated potty area you have chosen and stand there for a bit, letting her sniff out a spot, but don't wait more than 5-10 minutes tops. This trip has a purpose, it's not an exploratory adventure. When she goes, use your cue word, praise and give treat rewards every time.

And I agree with rewarding for coming back inside the house as well, you definitely want that to be a good association! You could give it a cue like "in" or "house" or "all done" when it's time to go back in, then praise at the door and treat once inside. I've found it useful to have the "house" command in addition to "come," so I can send our older dogs (who do their potty trips off-leash) to the porch from wherever I am out in the yard when I want to.

One last note: you should limit her access to the house, if you're not already, until her potty training is better.

By that, I mean that she should be spending most of her time in only one or two rooms, with the exits gated off. Use baby gates or buy those foldable metal pens to stretch across doorways, so she can't get out but can still see out of the room. You should do everything you can to make the room suitable for a puppy... this means blocking her access to any place where she can hide out of your sight (like behind the couch, don't let her get back there anymore). You want to be able to see her at all times, and you need to keep your eyes on her every second she is out of her crate. It's the corners and far reaches of her "domain" that are the spots she is most likely to have accidents. The bigger the domain you give her in the house, the more space she will view as acceptable potty areas, which is why you limit her at first. Once her training improves, give her more range.

If you designate just one room to start, and use it as her place to eat, drink, play, train, and possibly sleep (depending on where you keep her crate/bed), she will have very little area in which she feels comfortable peeing... she won't want to go where she sleeps, eats, or plays.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Have her on leash. Also have a designated potty area. Take her to the area. If she doesn't go within 10 minutes, bring her back inside. Keep her on leash and watch her. If she starts sniffing intensely or circling, take her outside immediately. Otherwise, wait 30 minutes and then take her outside again to the designated area. Wait 10 minutes. Keep repeating until she goes. You MUST keep her leashed and you MUST supervise her until you have seen her go. When she goes, calmly praise her and reward her. Do not ever punish her for going inside, it will teach her not to go in front of you.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I actually think that waiting and waiting and waiting can cause more problems than it solves. Being outside and getting to sniff around in the grass is like the best thing ever for a puppy. But as soon as she goes, you bring her back inside. The pup is learning that if she delays peeing, she gets more outside time with mom (or dad?). Why would she ever go when you want her to?

My recommendation would be to go out more frequently but bring her back in after a minute if she doesn't pee. Treats happen INSIDE and only after she successfully pees outside. You can have separate play time outside. You could even make this a reward for successfully peeing!

Eventually, you want to get the behavior on command. I can let my dog out, give the command, and have her back inside, all within 10 seconds - very convenient when it's pouring cats and dogs, or if I'm in a hurry.
I absolutely agree that waiting and waiting outside can cause some problems, and going back in immediately after causes more. As she is going say your "cue word" ours is "Get Busy", but use whatever works for you. I slightly disagree with treats only inside....I gave Caeda a treat IMMEDIATELY after she did her business (and I made sure to say the cue word as she was finishing) in hopes she would associate the treat with the cue and the action. I let her sniff around for a while or play afterwards too. Two different pieces of advice, up to you, though I admit, I'm 9months into my first dog, so GottaLuvMutts is likely to have more experience than me. Caeda does pee on command though....but unfortunately #2 seems to require about 5 minutes of preparatory sniffing.
I recommend crate when not supervised too, baby gates are great as well, though during house training I wouldn't allow any alone time in the gated area, crate only when alone (and be sure that it's small enough that she can't pick one corner to go in). Picking a particular spot where your dog has to go can help for later on, I've seen Caeda stop mid stride to do her business....it would be better if she had a "preferred spot".

By the way GottaLuvMutts, love your signature!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone,will try the suggested advice :) she is 5 months old,yes she is crate trained and i take her out as much as i can but i do work 3 days a week

1 - 17 of 17 Posts