Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ivy is a 10 week old Vizsla and knows her name, sit, lie down, stay, shake and also spin. She learns really quick and wants to learn. I taught her all these commands in one week (helps that she LOVES cheese!).
I’d really like to teach her “leave it”....but I’m wondering if it’s too early? She’s pretty nippy though doesn’t bite overly hard (never leaves marks)...and when I try the technique I saw on you tube, she really goes crazy chewing on my fist to try to get the treat...and those puppy teeth are sharp!! Should I wait a bit for this one?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I take my little girl to a puppy class for pups age 8 to 20 weeks. One of the things we are learning is the "leave it" command. My girl is at the older end of the age group but there are a couple younger pups in the class that are doing it, too. If they can learn, then I'd say that your Ivy is the perfect age for this lesson.

Our trainer is teaching us a little different than than some of the videos I've seen on YouTube. Instead of having the pup leave the kibble alone and then tossing it closer to them to eat off the floor, we are supposed to pick it up and give it to them. This makes sense to me. That way, they are taught to leave what is on the ground, on the ground. And their reward will come later directly from their owner's hand. We have not yet tried to "leave it" while walking past the item. That will probably come later.

BTW, I'm really impressed that you've taught her so much so soon! My girl is 19 weeks old and knows her name, sit, down, leave it and how to fetch a toy. I haven't tried teaching her to shake or spin. Several times I've tried to get her to roll over but always without success. She gets so hyper that instead of following the treat she jumps up and tries to grab it from my hand.

Also, my girl is super nippy! She is constantly chewing on something, including her humans. Her puppy teeth bites were so hard that they'd draw blood. She *usually* doesn't bite as hard and she's not biting as often. But she's still bites. And yes, there was a little pain in the beginning but you'd be surprised how quickly they learn that the best way to get what they want is to quit attacking the hand that holds the treat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The very first thing I "taught" Atlas at 8 weeks old was to leave it! He went completely bonkers for the treats and wouldn't give me half a second to do anything, so we started with that. Sounds like you're trying the same type of 'It's yer choice' that we did. He too would chew and scratch at my hand, so I ended up trying the version on the floor first. (Cover it completely, then lift up your palm leaving your fingers around it, then eventually uncovering it completely.) After we got that down pat I was able to do the same with my hand. You could also put on some gloves to help with the biting, which was my next move if the floor hadn't worked. So, I say continue on! I will make the rest of your training much easier.

Something I was told by a trainer (when Atlas was over a year old), was to work on a default 'leave it' - so basically if you drop anything on the floor, or toss treats, their default reaction should be to make eye contact with you and NOT touch it until told to 'get it/find it/whatever phrase or word you use'. I can see this as a great skill for them to have as they grow, and to help with focus type behaviours as well. So something to keep in mind as you go forward with your pup! Sounds like you have a great start - keep it up! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts