Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found the breeder I’m going to get my collie from! Now the wait for the litter starts!

She lets visitors come see the puppies starting after they’re 3 weeks old and it sounds like I can visit multiple times. When the time comes to pick out a puppy she will recommend which one she thinks is best for me, but I will have the final decision.

I know puppies personalities won’t really be there at 3 weeks old but I’m wondering at what age can I start narrowing them down and selecting one?

Also, since I can visit multiple times I’m thinking of maybe visiting once a week (though it’s about a 2 hour drive for me). At what age would you start visiting the pups?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
The breeders I know pick the puppies for you. As the people who spend by far the most time with the puppies, they're the best-equipped to determine temperament and suitability for different homes. Puppies can seem very different from their usual personality during any given visit depending on how much sleep they've had that day. Honestly, I'd go with the breeder's rec.

I'd probably start visiting at 4-5 weeks if the breeder allowed it. Puppies aren't really much fun before that point. Be very careful of spreading parvo or other diseases, especially if you live in an area with more parvo cases.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The best breeders knows the puppies and usually picks for you. That has been my experience. This does not mean they always get it right. Last puppy I got it was narrowed down to two that seemed similar. I did not pick.. even then.. as the breeder watched both puppies with me separately and knew my goals. I did get "the male pick of the litter" in the end.

At 8 weeks old when you get your puppy it is still a crap shoot. The breeder does the best they can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts