Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some say 'Not until their shots are done" then read others from a vet organisation that the risk of illness was very low and the socialization is crucial.
Thoughts and experiences?
The obedience training club I'd like to explore has a class, but I missed it by 2 weeks. The positive trainer I'm interested in is a ongoing start date but she's more expensive for ongoing classes and doesn't explore competitive stuff much.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
1. Ask your Vet about your specific location. Some locations, the chance of infection is rare, in other locations, adult dogs may be at risk...
2. Also, ask the training club, b/c they'd be very careful about infection, and would know your local chances.
3. I believe that puppy kindergarten, socialization, and early training in general, is always a good thing, after you eliminate the risk.
4. I think that some studies have suggested that training, with other 'up to date' puppies is OK after the 2nd round of shots. Ask your vet for his opinion.
5. ~ 15 years ago, even though my pup was a 9 week rescue exposed to all kinds of people and animals, I still waited for all three sets of shots, in Texas.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Yup. Talk to your vet. If the risk of infection is low, then socialization would outweigh the possible negatives. Talk to the puppy class instructor too, because in many puppy classes, they scrub and sanitize the floor every night.

I started Watson in training classes when he was 13 weeks, before his last round of shots. I spoke to my vet before hand, and we're in a very low parvo area. So she said that socialization was going to be far more important.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I would start immediately. A good puppy class will clean the area before and after the class, and it's probably safe to assume that the adult dogs in a nice training facility are healthy and vaccinated. It shouldn't be an issue.

Even in an area with higher risk of parvo, socializing in a puppy class is one of your safer options.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
I would start immediately. A good puppy class will clean the area before and after the class, and it's probably safe to assume that the adult dogs in a nice training facility are healthy and vaccinated. It shouldn't be an issue.

Even in an area with higher risk of parvo, socializing in a puppy class is one of your safer options.
Agreed. I start right away with puppies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd wait until the shots are done and instead explore other socialization options. Play dates with dogs you know, carrying the dog in areas with other dogs, etc. My vet recommended not to begin classes until my pup was completely done. I'm fairly certain that my obedience club does not allow puppies under the vaccination age to join puppy classes, but almost all obedience classes around here take place in outdoor parking lots that can't really be cleaned. Another trainer I contacted said to wait until completed vaccinations as well. Waiting until 16 weeks or so was fine for my puppy.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I start at 8 or 9 weeks...if you go to a legit training facility, they won't let any dogs cross through their door without records of vaccinations. Your risk of infection should be low.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking for a class I can 1. afford right now and 2. starts soon or is ongoing. Maybe I am just low on money so it sounds more but 180 for a class seems really high.

·
Registered
915 Posts
How many weeks of class do you get for that money? Are any supplies (clickers?) included in that price? Obviously it varies by region, but I'm currently in the DFW/Denton area and paying $150/6 once a week classes. To me it is a little higher than I want as a broke college student, but probably not unreasonable from what I've seen on the board.

And yeah, I would do puppy kindergarten ASAP if you have the means. Herd immunity=OK if all the vaccines aren't done yet basically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts