Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's day 1 and a 1/2, she is still very distracted by the outdoors, people, cars etc. This morning I took her out at 6am and she did both. This evening we took her out shortly after her dinner and she peed but did not poop. We rewarded and praised her. We wait for about 45 minutes for her to poop and nothing. We brought her back in. What should we do next time or beginning tomorrow to lay down the rules for her. Give her 15 minutes, bring her back in then try again? The breeder told me she has to go right away after eating but that doesn't seem to be the case. Last night she ate and then took a nap and then we took her out and she went. I think tomorrow I want to have a pee/poop routine. If you guys have any suggestions, that would be great. thanks!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So it's day 1 and a 1/2, she is still very distracted by the outdoors, people, cars etc. This morning I took her out at 6am and she did both. This evening we took her out shortly after her dinner and she peed but did not poop. We rewarded and praised her. We wait for about 45 minutes for her to poop and nothing. We brought her back in. What should we do next time or beginning tomorrow to lay down the rules for her. Give her 15 minutes, bring her back in then try again? The breeder told me she has to go right away after eating but that doesn't seem to be the case. Last night she ate and then took a nap and then we took her out and she went. I think tomorrow I want to have a pee/poop routine. If you guys have any suggestions, that would be great. thanks!
I would expect to spend a few days writing down when she goes - schedule her food and play and sleep times, and write that down around it. It'll help you figure it out, because honestly - you're not going to be able to put her on a 'routine' until you know how her body works, and that may take a few days to settle after stress of being in a new home.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We've had our pup since 8 wks and he has NEVER pooped right after eating. He still doesn't. He eats at 7 am and 7 pm. He poops before breakfast and at like 4:30 pm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same here we have had our puppy going on 3 weeks since he was 8 weeks old and he doesn't poop right after eating either. Usual morning 1st thing around 5:00 am eats at 5:30 am, mid afternoon around 2:00 eats at 12:00, and before bedtime at 9:30 eats final cup of food at 6:00 pm. I have a strict routine and eating schedule with my 4 kids and basically started from day one with him the same way and so far so good. Of course this is my first experience with a puppy not sure I'm doing things correct but it has been working for us. Good luck writing things down sounds like a great idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts