Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my 9 week old Lab who hates the crate we have for him, seems to love our other dog's crate. When no on is looking (as in when my daughter is babysitting), he sneaks in there and will happily go to nap whereas in the other crate (which is a lot bigger but which I also have stuffed with pillows and covered with a sheet to make it seems smaller) he will cry and scream forever (it seems) when we put him in there.

Our other dog, Maddy, does not seem to be bothered by him being in her crate. I was very careful to preserve it as her space as soon as he came home but when he goes in there (sometimes even when she is in there lying down), she seems to have no reaction at all. Just now, he had wandered in there and fallen asleep and she wandered over, entered the crate, seemed to be searching for a way to lie down next to him and then walked out. She does not go in the bigger crate but my question is, should I try to get her to switch to the other crate? Her crate may eventually be too small for him and they could try switching back then or we can get him a bigger crate but I am wondering if it will make her feel displaced if I try to encourage her (I would never force her if she's resistant) to use the other crate that we had intended for him.

One more thing, the crate we had for him used to belong to our other dog who died just after Memorial Day. Maddy was bonded with him but I don't suspect that would matter. Just another point to think about.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Our dogs wander back and forth taking over each others beds. Even the cat will take them over. I just let them sort it out as no one seems to mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts