Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. . . besides lots of love and food, both of which he is getting plenty. We want to give him what shots he needs, and of course get the many ticks off him.

He showed up 3 days ago very timid, bare bones, little energy, and obviously in need of immediate and tender care. He's getting it and has responded magnificently. .

He's even gone out of his way to make friends with the 9 week old feral kitten we have been raising, and the kitten has already taken to him as much if not more so than us.

My questions revolve around what kind of vet work can we do ourselves? We do not know what vaccinations to give him. I assume rabies, heartworm (is that pills?), and after that I don't know.

He is an adult but what breed is anyone's guess. I would post a picture but don't have one of those photobucket accounts.

I know our local feed store carries vet supplies. We will get him the care he needs for sure, but need to save what we can.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Have you tried to find the dogs owner? Do you plan to keep him? I would take him to a vet. They can check him for a microchip and ascess his needs far better than we can do here. There may be issues that are not readily noticeable. I wouldn't give him any kind of vaccines etc. without a vet chek up first. It could end up doing him more harm than good.

It is good that you want to care for him. If it were me though I would make sure there isn't an owner out there looking for him before doing much else. Once that is determined a vet visit would be the first thing on my list.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I would not vaccinate the dog yourself. Take it to the vet and let them take the ticks off of him as well. If ticks are not removed properly it can get worse for the dog. As for heartworm he would need to be checked by a vet first to see that he is negative for heartworm. Once he is found to be negative then heartworm preventive can be used but it requires a prescription from a vet. If you want to keep the dog and no owner shows up then you would be better off spending the money on the dog now instead of spending a lot more later.

If you cannot afford the vet care for the dog then you might want to contact a local SPCA or animal shelter and release the dog to them as they would give it the care it needs and then put it up for adoption.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
There are things you can do yourself but I would recommend taking him to the vet for an initial check-up at least. For your family's safety as well as for the dog. Only a vet can give rabies vaccine or it will not be legally recognized. And he should have a heartworm test to make sure he's clear. You can ask your vet about what things you can do at home (old farm vets are best for this advice.....do NOT expect much help from a place like Banfield).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts