Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today Benji taught me the importance of great socialization!!

We went to puppy kindergarten for the first time and I thought Benji was just going to get along with everyone... No questions asked... Boy was wrong....

Earlier this week we had a big issue. A very reactive dog that lives across the way from us scared Benji to the point where he literally ran all the way home. My pup who once hated outside, then loved it now hates it again...

My pup who also was very "in your face" with other dogs is becoming not so nice.

He barked, growled and nipped almost every dog in there. What a mean Benji!!! (j/p)

The trainer said that he could have been overwhelmed by the quantity and size of the puppies but to keep bringing him so he could get used to it. I knew I had to keep bringing him in order to have a well socialized puppy and to get him to recognize that not all dogs are scary.

By the end of the class he had been okay with some dogs and still not okay with other but that is fine... He doesn't have to be friends with everyone... Just not trying to bite every pup he meets!

We ran into all sorts of reactive dogs throughout the week and Benji really stops in fear and is ready to run away from dogs but I know proper socialization will help him to not fear all dogs in his life.

I hope I articulated that well...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah I wanna start puppy classes as soon as Auriel gets her 12 week shots (today) and I'm concerned how she'll react. Right now all the fenced in dogs bark and she freezes. None of my friends have dogs so I don't have anyone to really socialize her with until the puppy classes. We're meeting children galore though, Auriel is a child magnet. I swear.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Google "Look at That Game" and use it to teach your pup to focus on you when he is a little stressed. The nipping is more fear stress and a bite before asking questions type issue and as long as you can get him to focus on you when in these situations he will eventually be able to walk through a pack without even looking at another dog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nev he growled and barked before nipping, gave fare warning and then nipped. The trainers said he had a perfect response to the situation as the other dogs did not back off when he growled and barked. I will look at the game though and see if it works.

I really want him to learn to be more social though. He focuses more on the crumbs of the treats on the ground than anything else.

Noz if she was around other puppies at the breeder and socialized there she would probably do fine! Benji was fine from day one.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
awww hes so cute!!! its hard to belive that something tht cute (thats him in your sig, right?) could be mean to anyone :)

best of luck though, it sucks that someonee's irresponsibility (the loose aggressive dog) screwed up your training... soooo frustrating.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!!! And yea thats him!!! It is hard to believe.... I was shocked myself! And we will keep working on it I know I need to just keep pushing him (in a good way) and praising him for doing so well! Hopefully he grows to ignore that dog because it won't be going anywhere! There are a few over here too!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a similar experience today with my pup. A friend of mine brought over her 10 month old puppy who clearly doesn't take doggy cues very well. My guy was doing all the right dog things, sniffing the bottom, playing it cool, while Penny (10 month old) was jumping in his face. He growled and let Penny know he was not appreciative of the face to face contact and she had absolutely no idea. She continued which caused Merlin to nip. I stopped the situation immediately and went back to having full control. Her dog on the leash, mine being on his and had them first sniff while being controlled, then let a little bit of slack on the leash until both were calm. Once I felt comfortable, they were let off again and had no problems. Merlin was great! He acted like the older more wise dog and they ran around the yard until exhausted. I think there is a time when a hyper jumpy dog needs to be leashed and control thoroughly by the owner. The sad thing is that some are just not aware.. my friend was like look they are playing when it was clear Merlin was not pleased. It did end up okay however! Maybe make friends with one of the puppy people he may not be fond of and start off very very slow. All dogs react differently and it is our responsibility to make them feel a little more safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts