Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, after I woke up and had laid down to spend some quality time petting my puppy and scratch behind his ears, I felt a little bump on his head. I tried scratching it off, but it wouldn't budge. So I moved his hair away and find... A deer tick! Not only do I have a terrible fear of bugs, but I was so concerned for my puppy... He hadn't gotten any tick/flea/other gross bug medicines yet and I was freaking out about what I could possibly do! Of course, being so scared of the tick itself I called my friends and they rushed over to help me out. Soon, my boyfriend came and they were all holding him and trying to calm him down and get it out of him. They got the body out, and probably killed it, but the head's stuck in there.. I called the vet and they said the head would come out on its own (I am so going to go nuts if there's a tick head lying on the floor and i step on it! D: ), and that it would take a few weeks until we could run a test because if it's too early it won't show up.. That doesn't make sense to me, but I guess it's different with dogs than it is humans (I got a tick bite once, so did my dad, ick!). We also made an appointment with the vet to get him checked up on and get the proper vaccines and medications for him. I'm going to be nervous, veryyyy nervous, until the time comes that we can test him for lyme disease. The fact he's so little (four and a half months, five pounds!) worries me, I don't know if that makes a difference with lyme disease or not.

Any of you guys have experiences with ticks? Any false alarms? Anyone's dog on medication for lyme disease? Today was quite a scare, I didn't know it was warm enough out for ticks.. I'd definitely like to hear your stories.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
First calm down! Dogs get ticks, it's a part of life! Of course you should always treat your dog for fleas or ticks with things like frontline or advantage that protects them! I've seen dogs infested with ticks that never got lyme disease. Of course it is inhumane to let your dog become infested, which I don't think you will allow to happen. Just make sure to pick up some tick medicine and I wouldn't worry too much unless his behavior changes in any way at all. I'm sure he's fine :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I live in a very busy city and a few weeks after I got my first puppy she had a huge tick on her neck ( I may be over stating huge but due to the fact I hate them one the size of a pin point is HUGE to me ) so anyhow a HUGE tick was on her neck I swear it was 2 feet long and weighed 20 pounds. Well I had no clue we had ticks in our yard had never seen one before So I freaked and my hubby and roomate at the time had to remove it. I cried and eveything. I dont know why I reacted so bad but I dont like bugs either and one on my dog makes it 1000 times worse. Well she was completetly fine no trouble at all just wanted you to know. Now we have a yard sprayed a few times a year and our dogs treated so no more bugs lol Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any of you guys have experiences with ticks? Any false alarms? Anyone's dog on medication for lyme disease? Today was quite a scare, I didn't know it was warm enough out for ticks.. I'd definitely like to hear your stories.
I've had LOTS of experience with ticks, more than I ever cared to. Both my dogs are always on K9 Advantix or Frontline Plus, and when the ticks are really bad, they also wear a Preventic collar. All it takes is one, but don't freak out. You're dog will most likely be fine. I have an extra pair of tweezers specifically for pulling ticks out. Even with all the preventative measures, they still get them occasionally.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Are you sure it was a deer tick? We don't have them around here, but, from what I understand, they're VERY small and hard to see, even when engorged. If it was a big ol' fat juicy tick, it was probably a regular dog tick. Ugh, I can't stand ticks. Unfortunately, I've seen mooe of them than I care to. I guess Im used to it now. If ticks are on my dogs, I just pull them off and put them in a cup of boiling water or rubbing alcohol, or flush them down the toilet.....though that's not foolproof, so I try not to do it. I don't want them coming back up the toilet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts