Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my husband put in two new trees in our back yard. Bonnie saw him dig the dirt and put the trees in. Now - whenever she goes out - she thinks she can dig at the trees' roots...and shes SO fixated yday she almost bit me. I first stood at the area she was digging, btu she tried to get around me to dig some more. I then tried to lure her out with treats - NOTHING worked. I then SOMEHOW brought her in and put in in time out for a bit. Not sure if this is a onetime thing...or what. I also think she might be underexercised - since she goes for long evening walks and of course playtime at home and in the backyard.

Earlier she used to take the wooden borders out - and run around with it in her mouth....as if its a toy. I tried ignoring her - and she would just plop down with it and start chewing it like a bone. I then threw her toys - but she likes the wooden borders better.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i also have a digger LOL, Josefina even if she has been excersised she digs... she just loves to dig. Is that your dog in your avatar? she looks like a terrier type to me. When you disturbed the ground, you stirred up all kinds of new, wonderful & interesting smells & thats prolly why she is digging. I also have a jack russell (Bear... he's kinda my folks dog now LOL) he normally isnt a digger but if we work in the yard & stir the earth up or even just mow the grassit can bring him to dig.

how about putting chicken wire around the base of the trees (laying flat on the ground over the roots where she digs) & put mulch over it so when she digs, she digs to a point & hits the chicken wire, & cant go any further. Some dogs you cant 'train out' of digging, they just love it too much & its too rewarding for them :/ like i said i have one of those, i just make sure she cant dig under the fences.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Leeo was a digger ... and now Eddee began his digging adventures for the first time last evening ... a rodent hole! Lol!

I found that giving the dogs their own personal digging "area" ... kept the rest of the yard intact. I just made it a job and a reward for being a good dog. I tell them to "Get The Bugs!" I live in the woods but still found a spot in the yard where rodents had holes and let it become their own personal space.

Eddee now has a spot under one of the Forsythia trees down back ... out of view. :D

Oh ... and they do "Get Bugs" ... the real ones who get into the house! Lol!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we dont have a large yard or anything - tis medium sized for a good run in. And - theres no woods - behind us are other houses - farms actually - and on these sides all are our neighbors. Not sure which part I should allow her to dig. And - I'm afraid she will dig under the fence and get out...(She is a great pyr mix :p)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i also have a digger LOL, Josefina even if she has been excersised she digs... she just loves to dig. Is that your dog in your avatar? she looks like a terrier type to me. When you disturbed the ground, you stirred up all kinds of new, wonderful & interesting smells & thats prolly why she is digging. I also have a jack russell (Bear... he's kinda my folks dog now LOL) he normally isnt a digger but if we work in the yard & stir the earth up or even just mow the grassit can bring him to dig.
Yeah - I think thats what happened - she wants to dig and smell in the ground. Shes supposedly a great pyr mix. My avatar was when she was 5 months :) Shes MUCH bigger now - about 60 lbs and still growing. She is starting to get light brown eyes - so I think perhaps she might be a sherpherd mix...iono shes a wonderful mutt. Love her to death - wish she wasn't so STUBBORN though =)

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Well we dont have a large yard or anything - tis medium sized for a good run in. And - theres no woods - behind us are other houses - farms actually - and on these sides all are our neighbors. Not sure which part I should allow her to dig. And - I'm afraid she will dig under the fence and get out...(She is a great pyr mix :p)
You are correct ... She just may try and dig her way out! I had not realized how large she was! Lol! I have heard of a sand box being used to hide toys and such in and allowing the dog to dig them out. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct ... She just may try and dig her way out! I had not realized how large she was! Lol! I have heard of a sand box being used to hide toys and such in and allowing the dog to dig them out. Just a thought. :)
Hmm good idea - she did LOVE digging in the sand at the beach. I might try that - if I can get her away from the yummy scents of the soil.
Yeah - but shes not going to be as large as a pure great pyr. We dont know what she is really..her prev owner told us she was purebred "smoky" great pyr (my husband knew this was a lie right away). We think she has some shepherd in her. My husband thinks shes a hound too - b/c her nose is ALWAYS on the ground. Im not caring about her breed - although I think it might help us in training her better to cater to her needs :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Leeo was a digger ... and now Eddee began his digging adventures for the first time last evening ... a rodent hole! Lol!

I found that giving the dogs their own personal digging "area" ... kept the rest of the yard intact. I just made it a job and a reward for being a good dog. I tell them to "Get The Bugs!" I live in the woods but still found a spot in the yard where rodents had holes and let it become their own personal space.

Eddee now has a spot under one of the Forsythia trees down back ... out of view. :D

Oh ... and they do "Get Bugs" ... the real ones who get into the house! Lol!
Kabota gets all our bugs, too!

I do the same thing. He can dig in his spot next to the garden and nowhere else. What about setting up a sandbox for her to dig in?

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah - I think thats what happened - she wants to dig and smell in the ground. Shes supposedly a great pyr mix. My avatar was when she was 5 months :) Shes MUCH bigger now - about 60 lbs and still growing. She is starting to get light brown eyes - so I think perhaps she might be a sherpherd mix...iono shes a wonderful mutt. Love her to death - wish she wasn't so STUBBORN though =)
im sorry about mistaking her breed LOL, avatars are so small :9 pyrs can be hard headed sometimes, once they get a 'feel' for digging, its hard to train them out of it, like i said the only hope now i think he prevention of digging in the places you dont want her to dig in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im sorry about mistaking her breed LOL, avatars are so small :9 pyrs can be hard headed sometimes, once they get a 'feel' for digging, its hard to train them out of it, like i said the only hope now i think he prevention of digging in the places you dont want her to dig in.
HAHA no problem really! Yup shes our stubborn little lady...definitely not a couch potato hahaha like normal pyrs. She tried to dig yesterday - and my husband was watering the lawn and he kind of sprayed the water in her direction and that stopped her. Then she came inside with her muddy paws (thankfully it didnt get on the carpet and other stuff) and I could clean off one - she doesnt like being cleaned...sigh. But all the more why we loooove her! Shes got such a personality.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just an update - she hasnt given an interest in digging....we are still thinking about the sand box however :) Shes just a hyper puppy <3

1 - 11 of 11 Posts