Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

I recently got a beagle mix pup from craigs list. I think she may have been abused.

If i reach to pet her to fast or move in her direction to fast she low crawls and wets the floor.

I have tried crouching to her level and moving slowly. The moving slowly thing works most of the time but if im gone for 20mins or more it seems to not matter. As soon as she sees me she low crawls and lets loose.

Im not sure how to discipline her because i feel like yelling at her while shes in the act will just scare her even more.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Don't yell at her. :) She can't help this behavior. What you should do is when you come in, completely ignore her. Don't even look at her. Don't speak to her. Let her approach you in her own time. You can sit on the floor and drop treats in her direction (without looking) so she's motivated to approach you. :)

You need to build trust with her. So, let her make all the moves. You can call to her, but don't look at her and let her move toward you. Take your time to gain this girls' trust and she'll most likely grow right out of it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts