Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my I plan on changing my 9 week old puppies hard food (he was on purina puppy chow when i got him) I am thinking about using a brand called Authority or Nutro Ultra, both are pretty good and have real chicken/meat in them and no corn meal.

What about wet food? should i be feeding him both hard and wet? or just hard? Lately he has been getting used to wet food because he is getting over parvo and has to take his medicine within the high calorie wet food given to me by the vet. Should I combine his wet and dry and slowly wean him off the wet food?

Lastly someone once told me that lab puppies get super hyper when they eat puppy hard food and that i should feed him adult pet food instead? is this true? my puppy is a lab/cocker spaniel mix.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Dry is fine, just slowly wean him off the wet food. Mix wet food to the dry, but less and less everyday until you no longer need to add it at all. I personally feed both just for variety, but the wet is mostly stuff I make myself and it's only given as a topper. I only give canned sometimes because I'm seeing if he even likes canned versus homemade.

Puppies must eat puppy formulas in order to get all the nutrients they need while they are still growing. If given adult food, it will negatively affect their growth.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I never heard that lab pups get hyper on kibble. News to me. Large breed pups are better with a lower calcium food as bones should grow slow and steady. Your guy isn't going to be as large as a lab though. In the old days adult food was lower in calcium than puppy food but that isn't true these days, a large breed puppy food is lower in calcium than good quality adult foods.

Do read the link. I agree with it and will no longer feed my dogs dry foods.

I would at least mix in some fresh food or canned with his meals along with some water for quite a while yet. He may seem better but why stress out his poor system with dry food when he may or may not understand how much water he needs to drink to stay healthy.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't feed nutro or authority both are crap IMHO, nutro has been linked with a lot of dogs dying in recent times which sucks bc it used to be a good food. I have had good luck with natures variety (www.naturesvariety.com), they make a frozen raw that Josefins just loves to pieces & she is like... Super picky :/ I had to switch to that actually bc she didn't want to eat canned anymore LMBO.

I have also used merrick in the past (www.merrickpetcare.com) but they are merging with castor & pollux (a good food also) so I don't know what's going to happen there. Their 'five star entrees' are also good.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't feed nutro or authority both are crap IMHO, nutro has been linked with a lot of dogs dying in recent times which sucks bc it used to be a good food. I have had good luck with natures variety (www.naturesvariety.com), they make a frozen raw that Josefins just loves to pieces & she is like... Super picky :/ I had to switch to that actually bc she didn't want to eat canned anymore LMBO.

I have also used merrick in the past (www.merrickpetcare.com) but they are merging with castor & pollux (a good food also) so I don't know what's going to happen there. Their 'five star entrees' are also good.
I saw the pamphlets for merricks new stuff. They are changing some formulae, introducing some new ones, and renaming some also, and changing the packaging lol. Should be interesting once it hits shelves...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
As suggested, whatever you select, make the transition gradually over a week or two, slowly substituting the new food for the old food, making sure that he has plenty of water.

1. I have an 11 yo, 65 lb Lab-GSD in excellent health with a calm personality. I have never fed him wet dog food, only dry.
2. I select a dog food with adequate nutrition for my dog, supplemented with Missing link Plus and a couple of raw carrots.
3. I try to rotate foods about every 3 - 4 months.
4. I've tried the expensive, very rich, high quality dog foods, and my dog gets the runs ... I believe it is from too much protein.
5. So I go for lower quality foods, which he seems to thrive on...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts