Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Westminster is coming up Feb. 13th (8-9pm on USA and 9-11pm on CSNBC) and then Feb. 14th (8-11pm on USA). Is anyone going to watch it?

This is my favorite dog show of all time and I love watching it year after year, hoping my favorites win! I love guessing the breed before the announcer says it and this year there are six new breeds! :)

Anyway here are the new breeds; can you guess them beforehand without going to see their descriptions first? I got four out of six. http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2012/show/news/newbreed_091211.html

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I always watch this providing I am not interrupted! Lol! I could not guess the new breeds ... but the CESky Terrier is sure of an interest to me ........ :) I love terriers in general ... they are sooo lively! ( putting it mildly)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I always watch it, like to see if my friends make it pass the breed ring. I know the new breeds, so Ill probably get them all correct.

The lundehund is the one I am most looking forward to seeing, as that's the only one I haven't seen at a show.

It will be interesting to see all 6 coonhounds in the ring, the only other time I have seen that was in SC.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I am so excited to see the lundehund! I love the way they walk:

Happy to see the lapphund in there, too. I'll definitely be watching; I never miss this show. :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
The only thing that I know of they do is streaming of the breed judging, but thats not live. I don't know of any live streaming of the group judging/BIS. But I am sure we will do a thread on here, discussing the winners and what not.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The Lundehund is cool. . .looks like a little scraggly mutt, my favorite kind! I didn't know that there were dogs with polydactyly. And I think the name of the "American English Coonhound" is funny. It's either American or English, can't be both! LOL. But that's a fine-looking dog. I usually watch Westminster every year, but I think I missed last year.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Dang it, I guessed wrong. I thought it was going to be Labradoodle and Puggle. Maybe next year. ha ha

I do enjoy watching some of it but I can't sit through the whole thing. We used to have Westminster parties with a bunch of friends but not sure we will this year.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Lundehunds can also:

Close their ears:

and are extremely flexible:

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
That's what most breeds call "moving wide in the front" the degree to which the dog in your video does it is a serious fault for most(all?) working breeds but for a companion breed I guess it wouldn't stress the body too much.
I wonder if that kind of thing would help the dog climb rocks? Since that's what they were originally bred for. I would guess that rock-climbing would require an entirely different body shape then, say, herding or hunting or anything else requiring running.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
That's what most breeds call "moving wide in the front" the degree to which the dog in your video does it is a serious fault for most(all?) working breeds but for a companion breed I guess it wouldn't stress the body too much.
They are working dogs; they were bred to hunt puffins in Norway. They needed to be able to fit into (and get out of, haha) narrow passages, hence the wide range of motion in the joints. From what I understand, their main health issue is "Lundehund Syndrome," a group of gastrointestinal disorders.

The lundehund has at least 6 toes on each foot; can close its ears so that the ear-canal is protected against dirt and moisture; has neck-joints which enable it to bend the head backwards over the shoulders, so that the forehead touches the back--this is useful when the dog has to turn in a narrow passage. Furthermore, this dog has extremely mobile fore shoulder-joints, so that both front legs can stretch straight out to the sides.

The lundehunds' unusual characteristics were very useful in a particular kind of hunt. The many toes gave the dog a good foothold when it had to balance on steep cliffs or slippery rocks, and they were a great help when the dog had to crawl through difficult passageways. The dog used this extra toe as support, also to brake himself on slippery or uneven terrain, so that on the whole the dog was equipped to go where the man could not. The characteristic fore shoulder-joints enabled the dog to "throw out his arms" if he lost his footing on slippery rock and was, as we have noted, useful when he had to turn or shift in cramped passages. The mobility of the dog's neck was undoubtedly of great usefulness when he had to reverse himself in order to come out from the passages to the birds' nests.
From here. I think they're pretty neat!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We're going this year! Every year we watch it on TV but this year we decided to splurge and go. I'm so excited!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
We're going this year! Every year we watch it on TV but this year we decided to splurge and go. I'm so excited!
I went last year to watch. I was a bit disappointed by the show itself. There weren't many vendors, the benching area is insainely small, and most of the arena staff & security seemed absolutely clueless. I guess I'm just spoiled by the Eukanuba classic in long beach. But I had alot of fun in the city itself and would love to go back to NY city.

I don't have the USA channel so I can't watch it on TV. I will watch my breed on the internet streamed video.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You guys know, if you want, you can go online and buy the dvd (or vhs) on their website or elsewhere I'm sure would have it like Amazon or Ebay. That's cool that some of you have friends that are in the show!! Good luck to them this year. What breed will they have with them?

The Cesky Terrier and American English Coonhound were the only ones I got wrong. I said Redbone, forgetting they already were in the show and the Cesky, while I know what they looked like, looked almost like a Schnauzer to me. Willowy--I thought the same thing where it was weird that the breed's name was American English. It's either one or the other, but I guess in American we're English and speak it. *shrugs* Last year was good, the Scottish Deerhound won. Not a favorite of mine, but it was a different breed.

Crantastic--that's interesting the way the Lundehund walks, I never knew that. I knew all the other info about them, which is cool. I heard some scientist say they don't think that they're really part of the Canis familiaris family because of the six toes and what they can do with their necks, etc.

Inga--lol, those are designer dogs, not purebreds. I thought Luke's breed may make it in, not that I'm sure I want them too. But how many people do you know have a Finnish Lapphund or Entlebutcher? I know none.

Chaos--thanks for that bit of info; I knew about how their limbs moved and the neck, but didn't know about their ears; very interesting.

To those that went--you're soo lucky!!! Enjoy Rowdy and take pictures!! I have yet to go, but I would like to go one day when I know my allergies are okay to be handled with that many breeds.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I will have friends with weimaraners, and bulldogs, and quite possibly a cardi corgi, Great Dane (unless they retired him already), Bouvier maybe, maybe staffordshire bull terriers.

I know people with entlebuchers, showed a puppy for them at show once.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I "know" the Finnish Spitz that will be there (haven't had the pleasure of meeting them all in person, though!). I also have friends showing Ridgebacks, a Basset, maybe a TFT, a Dachshund, I think a Manchester, and I'm sure some others LOL. I thought about driving up to see everyone, but I think I may just have to skip out on it for this year. There's always TV and the breed rings online :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts