Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Westie show dog and he has a major show coming up. He is a bit on the skinny side and I would like some suggestions on how to make him gain some weight. We stuff him twice daily and will eat anything. He is 18 months old and every time he gets to the right weight, he gets taller or longer and he is too skinny again. He also just got over a bout of hookworms and that made him lose quite a bit of weight. I heard of something called satin balls, does anyone know if those are effective, and if so, could you give me the recipe? All I remember is ground beef. Right now at breakfast he eats: one cup of a quality kibble, 1/2 can Nutro canned puppy food, 2 scrambled eggs, and two slices of American cheese. At dinner he eats: one cup of quality kibble, 1/2 lb of chicken or ground beef, 1/4 cup of yogurt, and two scoops of vanilla ice cream. He eats better than the human members of the family!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Have you tried Satin Balls? I feed them for a few days when my skinny girl dips too low for my comfort.

2 lb Hamburger (High fat, raw)
2 cup of his kibble
2 Egg
2 oz Wheat Germ
2 oz Molasses (not syrup)

Mix together and roll into 1 inch balls. Refrigerate of freeze. Thaw as needed.

I give B'asia three balls a few times a day for 4 or 5 days and it puts a pound or two on her.

From this thread: http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/55053-help-my-fatten-him.html

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Binkalette, sorry I didn't see that post. Do you know if there is something else you can substitute for the wheat germ? Westies are prone to allergies and Scout has never been fed wheat, so I don't know if he is allergic. Neither of his parents had allergies as far as I know, and he should be fine, I was just wondering.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
1/2 cup of quick oats. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Fouriscompany! good idea. Another recipe I found on Google while waiting for a reply: 1 lb raw ground beef, 1 1/3 cups Total Cereal, 1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal, 1 raw egg with shell, 6 tbl wheat germ, one package unflavored gelatin, 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil, and 2 tbl molasses. This recipe sounds as though it would put on weight quicker but I am not sure. It is supposedly very healthy. Any ideas on which recipe to use?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts