Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 6 month old westie male is scheduled to have blood work in 2 - 3 weeks for allergy testing. we have changed his food, put him on a bland diet, given him benadryl and tried a prescription with a combo antihistamine and prednisone. (that gave him very loose bowels). i have noticed that he will be playing and suddenly drops onto his back and does everything in his power to get his back paws into his mouth, to bite them near his nails. when i give him benadryl, this subsides for a few hours. what has me wondering is that this evening, i noticed that his back paws were actually warm to the touch. at that point, he really hadn't been gnawing at them, i was near him and as soon as i saw him biting, i picked him up, gave him 1/2 tsp of benadryl and then held him for awhile. any thoughts on why his paws are getting so warm? i wash his bedding 1 x per week - hot water, dye free detergent, no fabric softener. i steam my floors clean, no detergents. he has been on rice, hamburger and yogurt for a couple of weeks. so it absoluteluy isn't his food. he comes from a champion line and there are no other siblings with allergies. i have to wait the few weeks for the blood work, so that he prednisone is completely out of his system. i feel sorry for the little guy! thanks for any input.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The itching makes his feet warm, that is 'all'. He is feeling just miserable right now. I hope the testing comes up with something conclusive. Try giving him a warm water rinse or a medicated shampoo. Look in the grooming forum, there is one reccommended there, starts with an E and reminds me of the Latin word for horse. He could be picking something up in his fur and that could help get it off and shampoo could sooth the itching.

Once the reaction starts it can take a long time to clear up. My human son reacted to a medication once and it took over a week for the hives to stop reoccuring when the Benadryl wore off. And I KNOW he didn't have any more of that medicine!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi again. as you see from my post, i listened to you and have set up his blood work. i actually just ordered the shampoo and the spray. i should have it by this weekend. reading what i have, i will be thrilled if this does the trick! i will let you know what the blood work shows. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts