Discussion Starter #1
Mahler at 13 weeks

Mahler today, just shy of 20 weeks

Wesson at 12-13 weeks(ish)

Wesson today, 8 months and 2 days old

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Both are gorgeous! Mahler resembles "Banner" ... or should I say it the other way around? :/ ... the only AKC GSD I ever owned. But ..Wow!!! What a transformation! :)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Awwwwwww....D'aawwwwwwww!!!

She's really maturing nicely.

And Mr. Mahler! I love his coat. And he's so big!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't believe how quickly this puppy is growing! Leaps and bounds! He's battling a bit of pano right now, so some training is on hold.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Aw, poor Mahler, pano can be so rough.

They have both grown like weeds. Wesson is look really good, is she entered in any shows coming up?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
They are so beautiful, and growing so fast! (googling pano right now.)

edited to add: poor Mahler. That sounds awful.

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
Love seeing pics of your dogs, they're just so beautiful!
Question, since I have to get back to work and can't google, what is Pano?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Love seeing pics of your dogs, they're just so beautiful!
Question, since I have to get back to work and can't google, what is Pano?
Some people refer to it as long bone disease or growing pains, it usually happens in young puppies of larger breeds. It causes painful inflammation in the long bones of the legs. Causes temporary lameness, and will usually switch between legs, so maybe one day the dog will be lame in the left front leg and another in the right. They can also run a fever and have low white blood cell counts. It is very painful, and puppies just look like they feel horrible. The causes of it are not fully known, there is speculation that there is a genetic component, but at this point we don't have a gene or even a general area, to my knowledge. Puppies generally out grow it once their growth plates are sealed.

BB had a bout of it when she was younger, she ran a fever and was lame for a little while. She was put on pain killers and anti inflammatorys. Exercise was limited, but then again her exercise at that age was limited to begin with.

Really this is a wait it out disease, it's hard to watch a puppy go through it though.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wesson is look really good, is she entered in any shows coming up?
No. She's going back to her breeder for awhile. Unlikely to be entered in anything. We speculate she'll be gone for about 9 months, and this dude will be coming to stay with me:

Hopefully I will finish him while he's here. Our first show is in Canfield in August

As for Mahler, he's doing fine with the pano. He's actually self regulating himself very well, and not overdoing it, so I'm not too terribly worried

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Ooh, he's pretty. Who is he?

Why is Wesson going back?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Why is Wesson going back?
Needs to grow up, and I'm currently a bit frustrated with her. Going to see if the breeder can make her into more of a heathen. She doesn't like to do anything, and currently, is exhibiting very low to no drive. I could have accidentally squashed it, or it just may not be there. Sending her back to do a wait and see. I don't have dogs just to show, I have them to do performance with too, and a dog that is interested in none of it doesn't fit into our house.

Ooh, he's pretty. Who is he?
Another dog that Wesson's breeder bred. I've met him. Really nice temperament, good drives. Not a large male, so is often shown in AmBred. He's got 7 points

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Ah yes I forgot about her little issue. She needs to meet BB, she tends to bring out the inner demon in other dogs lol. Let's hope her breeder can bring her out of the shell, but you are right she just may not have the drives.

Seems like he will be a good fit.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Mel!!! Good to see you! Thanks for the compliment :D

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

Also, super random awesome news about Wes :D She played tug today (legit worked to win the tug) and played fetch with me xD She was pretty proud of herself.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
That is awesome, maybe wes is just a late bloomer lol.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I'm hoping :D Strauss was actually a late bloomer in many respects himself! It's certainly not unheard of.

Also, I took her and Mahler to the gun range the other day, and she is completely gun sure (as is Mahler, but he's not a surprise)! They ran all over while people were firing rifles, shotguns, and pistols at various distances, and she was unphased :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts