Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call from one of my good friends who owns a racing kennel and she asked if I wanted to whelp a litter. I was like....uh....details, please???? It seems a dog came in from the farm to their racing kennel and they suspected she was "with puppy." Sure enough, the track vet confirmed it, so the racing owner was contacted to see what he wanted to do (needless to say he was NOT happy that she was preggers). The farms do a good job keeping the dogs separate, but rarely an oops litter does happen.

Since the father(s) is unknown, the dogs can't be registered as racers with the NGA, so they'll be going to pet homes when they are old enough. I drove to Arkansas over the weekend to pick up Mama!

My first litter, her first litter. Yowza! Wish us luck! Fortunately I have a several people who've been through this before and are willing to hold my hand through the process...DH spent the weekend building her a beautiful whelping box and he's as excited as I am...A couple of the puppies are already spoken for and the rest have adoption groups lined up to take them.

She has such a precious face

She finally laid down and pretty much stayed that way most of the trip!

I had to make a quick stop at the Birmingham adoption kennel and since it was the half way point, we let mama out to stretch her legs and potty (sand is from laying down in the turnout pen). You can see she still has her fluffy farm coat down her back!

From the last time the track vet saw her last week, he was thinking she was 10-13 days out...but I swear she's getting bigger by the minute!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Is it common practice to keep racers intact? I would've thought they would be fixed to prevent fights from breaking out on the track.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Is it common practice to keep racers intact? I would've thought they would be fixed to prevent fights from breaking out on the track.
how would they breed the next great generation of racers then?

In ASCA there is a DNA program to prove parentage maybe the NGA should adapt something like that. so they could find out who the father was and register the pups

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In ASCA there is a DNA program to prove parentage maybe the NGA should adapt something like that. so they could find out who the father was and register the pups

The NGA does DNA all breeding stock. I know of at least one oops litter that was registered 'after the fact' because they knew who the parents were and were able to DNA the parents and puppies. Those puppies went on to race.

In this case, no one would know where to start with DNA'ing potential fathers and it's not something the racing owner wanted to pursue anyway. The NGA does not want to encourage unplanned breedings and, while you can register a litter after it's conceived/born, there are plenty o' fines and late fees involved. With the breeding behind the female, I'm not sure it's worth it. Now, if her littermates go on to be superstars (or her for that matter), she may be retained as a brood for future litters. That's all up to her owner. Right now he's just trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I think he's making the right call to just let these pups be pets.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Oh congrats Lovemygreys!!! I bet you're super excited!!! and nervous! LoL... Every time I have fostered a 'Momma to be' I was feeling all that! haha!

Oh I cant wait to see all the puppy pics!!!
Nessa

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you never know who's going to turn out to be a super star, it's pretty much unheard of for a racer to be altered before they are retired.

Fights generally aren't a problem...dogs that interfere/fight on the track get ticketed and aren't allowed to race. Most dogs just want to chase that lure when they're on the track anyway.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
*squeal* I can't wait to see pics. This is SO cool!
I second that!! Greyhound puppies aren't something that I get to see everyday...I'm not even sure if I have even seen a Greyhound puppy before! :D

Good luck, LMG!!!

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Also, if you can find one that agrees to stay a puppy, pass them my way. I'll take the cute if someone else will agree to deal with the headaches.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wow the lucky owners, pet puppies Greyhound are a rare thing in North America, I know I would have liked to be one of the future owners :D

Pregnancy is so obvious on grehounds :eek:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Oh congratulations LMG!!!! Please be sure you put up PLENTY of puppy pics when she whelps! I wish I were close enough to adopt one of the little stinkers.

It's nice to know that the pups will be kept as pets and not on a farm and kept for racing.

Why would you say that? It's actually not a bad life and it's what these dogs are bred for. They generally have a couple dogs to a 8x40 run with an indoor section for shelter. They are trained daily, so they get plenty of exercise and they get a good amount of attention. No, they aren't lying around someones house, but that's really not what this breed is about anyhow.

Before you believe the AR hype about greyhound racing, remember that an unhappy dog isn't going to perform well, much like horse racing, these are atheletes and they are treated as such.

·
Super Moderator
11,842 Posts
I've known lots of adult greyhounds, but I have never seen a pup or even a picture of a greyhound pup. I was beginning to think that would be an unrealized item on my bucket list.

Pictures will be mandatory.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Oh congratulations LMG!!!! Please be sure you put up PLENTY of puppy pics when she whelps! I wish I were close enough to adopt one of the little stinkers.

Why would you say that? It's actually not a bad life and it's what these dogs are bred for. They generally have a couple dogs to a 8x40 run with an indoor section for shelter. They are trained daily, so they get plenty of exercise and they get a good amount of attention. No, they aren't lying around someones house, but that's really not what this breed is about anyhow.

Before you believe the AR hype about greyhound racing, remember that an unhappy dog isn't going to perform well, much like horse racing, these are atheletes and they are treated as such.

Nice post, Carla. :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for the post, Carla. ;) Well said.

Lola's_Dad...that's a pretty jerky thing to do. This isn't a thread about racing, it's a thread about puppies. Nice to know you don't even have the manners or respect for others to realize that. I really expected no less though. You didn't disappoint or surprise me.

I'm also happy they are going to be pets. Not because racing is bad, but because these aren't race bred dogs. They are an oops that we are all making the best of now.

Of course there will be LOTS of pics!!! DH and I are getting excited and nervous...she's settling in nicely. She's pretty shy to start so this has been quite a change for her. But, she's in her whelping area now and getting used to things. She's eating like a horse and is completely accepting of us being near her and handling her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts