Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much drama, but now it's settled. We're getting a new addition, a toy Australian Shepherd :D AHHH!!! I'm so excited. A little Aussie is one of my "bucket list" dogs, and I can't wait to start training him to do all sorts of things! My boyfriend had his heart set on this itty bitty Japanese Chin x Chihuahua cross we stumbled on Kijiji. But after a week, the day before we were supposed to pick the little guy up, my boy had a change of heart. The lady who was selling the puppy was very sketchy, and I had my doubts from the very beginning. Now he's unsure and doesn't want to go through with it, thank goodness!

Gosh, next comes the excruciating process of coming up with a name. It took a whole month before we found the perfect name for Wicket.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Congrats! By toy Australian shepherd, do you mean north American shepherd? If yes, what is the breeder calling the breed?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Hmmm, I'm not sure if it's a north American Shepherd. Here's the link to the breeder's dogs Lonesome D Ranch. They're calling them Mini and Toy Aussies.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations on your new addition! There is (to me!) nothing more fun than a brand new little life to train! :) I will definitely be waiting for the pics!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on your new addition! There is (to me!) nothing more fun than a brand new little life to train! :) I will definitely be waiting for the pics!
Oh gosh I know! It's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be so worth it in the end. We're bringing him home on Friday. I just hope I puppy proof the place well enough, lol. Oh well, it's not my fault if my boyfriend likes to leave his game controllers and cords all over the place >.> Muahahahaahah!!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Oh gosh I know! It's going to be a lot of work, but it'll be so worth it in the end. We're bringing him home on Friday. I just hope I puppy proof the place well enough, lol. Oh well, it's not my fault if my boyfriend likes to leave his game controllers and cords all over the place >.> Muahahahaahah!!!
Lol!!! XD

Don't forget to put stuff up high and hide the electrical cords! ... along with shoes ... toilet tissue ... kleenex ... Hehehe! :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
According to the breeders these particular dogs "toys" and "mini" were bred from the smaller Australian Shepherds that they had to get smaller dogs over many generations. So really the smaller dogs are just regular purebred Aussies, and the breeders themselves categorized their own dogs and puppies into "standard", "mini", and "toy". The do not make any claim that these dogs are CKC or AKC recognized register breeds or new breeds. I think the put their own dogs into those size classes to clear up confusion when someone wants to purchase a particular Aussie from them.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
No offense, Wicket but this "breeder" isn't someone I'd ever buy from. An Aussie is an Aussie. It's like "breeders" who sell teacup Chi's. There is no such thing but people fall for it. If you want an Aussie, you get an Aussie. If it happens to be big or small, it's just the size. I got a large sheltie; the breeders didn't call them giant Shetland sheepdogs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No offense, Wicket but this "breeder" isn't someone I'd ever buy from. An Aussie is an Aussie. It's like "breeders" who sell teacup Chi's. There is no such thing but people fall for it. If you want an Aussie, you get an Aussie. If it happens to be big or small, it's just the size. I got a large sheltie; the breeders didn't call them giant Shetland sheepdogs.
Glad we're thinking along the same line. And even though they say they don't cross one of those dogs looks Pappish to me in the face. Do they health test?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
According to the breeders these particular dogs "toys" and "mini" were bred from the smaller Australian Shepherds that they had to get smaller dogs over many generations. So really the smaller dogs are just regular purebred Aussies, and the breeders themselves categorized their own dogs and puppies into "standard", "mini", and "toy". The do not make any claim that these dogs are CKC or AKC recognized register breeds or new breeds. I think the put their own dogs into those size classes to clear up confusion when someone wants to purchase a particular Aussie from them.
Nope they are not bred down from smaller Aussies they were started from these small merled mixed breed companion dogs Sandy Travis' foundation dogs of the "Mini Aussie" Miniature American Shepherds and North American Shepherds
Later on they were bred to Australian Shepherds because that's the look they wanted their breed to have but they tried to keep the size of the original dogs.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Glad we're thinking along the same line. And even though they say they don't cross one of those dogs looks Pappish to me in the face. Do they health test?
No offense but I was thinking this as well.

those are not aussie ears.... and why would they happen to breed the very breed that they're insisting didnt get mixed into their lines? The silver lab breeders are never dumb enough to own weims as well, because they know people would question it (and no, I'm not saying silver labs are legit)

Also... where are the parents? they have a page of males and females, but none of the dogs listed there are the same names as the parents on the available pups/litter page. Why don't they have pics of the parents??

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
But that's what I was trying to say, that they're all just Aussies. They sell all their Aussies for about the same price large or small, so it's not like they're trying to over-charge people and use "toy" and "mini" as a sales gimmick. However, since their Aussies do come is such a large range of sizes, from 10lbs to 60lbs, that they use the categories "toy", "mini", and "standard" as descriptors for the the approximate adult sizes of the puppies. I guess a lot of people see wrong in doing this o_O

Yes, they do health test their dogs.

Nope they are not bred down from smaller Aussies they were started from these small merled mixed breed companion dogs Sandy Travis' foundation dogs of the "Mini Aussie" Miniature American Shepherds and North American Shepherds
Later on they were bred to Australian Shepherds because that's the look they wanted their breed to have but they tried to keep the size of the original dogs.
I can believe that, however I do believe there are mini Aussie that have actually been bred down from Aussies as well. I'm sorry if you disagree with this. And even if my new pup isn't a true blood Aussie, I've met a lot of puppies and grown dogs (large and small) from this particular breeder and they've all be healthy, well mannered, and active.

·
Registered
400 Posts
But that's what I was trying to say, that they're all just Aussies. They sell all their Aussies for about the same price large or small, so it's not like they're trying to over-charge people and use "toy" and "mini" as a sales gimmick. However, since their Aussies do come is such a large range of sizes, from 10lbs to 60lbs, that they use the categories "toy", "mini", and "standard" as descriptors for the the approximate adult sizes of the puppies. I guess a lot of people see wrong in doing this o_O

Yes, they do health test their dogs.

I can believe that, however I do believe there are mini Aussie that have actually been bred down from Aussies as well. I'm sorry if you disagree with this. And even if my new pup isn't a true blood Aussie, I've met a lot of puppies and grown dogs (large and small) from this particular breeder and they've all be healthy, well mannered, and active.
What do they test for? I wasn't able to find anything on their site.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts