Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's still too hot here to really get outside and do anything, and we're a little stir crazy in the house. What have you all been doing with your dogs this summer that's cool and doesn't cost money? I bought them each a big bone to work on, but I can tell they really want to do something.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Lots of trick training in the house :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do they like to play ball? My papillon LOVES ball and when it's too hot outside, we play fetch in the house. I throw his ball down the steps, so he's getting alot of exercise running up and down the steps. I can even play "lazy fetch" and sit on the sofa watching TV as I throw his ball for him. He will run and fetch until his little legs cant take anymore, then he'll curl up beside me and take a nap. Can you do something like this? If you dont have steps, can you use a hallway or some other long stretch for ball playing?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They do like to play ball, we just haven't been because the kong balls are lost. That reminds me that I had wanted to go to the tennis courts and snag a couple of dead balls though. I would also like to see if I can teach my border collie names of some different objects. Past summers I have taught them to find people/things, like "where's mommy", "where's your cat", and "where's your flock (kids)".

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
We have been lucky enough to get a break but I was doing a lot of training. Also a lot of hide and seek. That gives you exercise as well.

·
Registered
463 Posts
We bought a kiddie pool for the yard and let the girls have a ball! Sydney will dive for balls in it and when they run around like hooligans they always run in and out of the pool while their playing to keep cool. Although weirdly enough neither one of them has figured out to lay down in the water yet!

Also I found a park and chatted up one of the workers who was there and found out that they purge the fire hydrants every Monday and Thursday at a specific time. Talk about a blast! The water shoots up like 30 feet in the air and pretty much floods the little area and the girls go nuts over all the water. See if you can find little things like that! (oops I'm assuming they like water!! if not this is pretty useless)

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Lots of whining from Mia. We play ball almost constantly and do trick training. Bought her a pool to play in outside some. Lots of chews. Lots of trips to the store.

She paces and whines still. I know it's not enough for her *sigh*. She really needs a good run.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a kiddie pool and they have nothing to do with it, same with the hose. The hose scares Shiner and makes Frosty mad. We go to the pet store and walk around sometimes and I think I'm taking them to my moms tonight for dinner just for a change of scenery. In a month or so we will be able to go to the lake again or go on our "dates" where we go to lunch at places that have outdoor seating areas, starbucks, chickfila, etc. I'm cracking open a trick training book today, I almost forgot I had it, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've been going for jogging with her after dark. It doesn't wear her out too badly but if definitely wears me out. haha We also play fetch up and down the stairs. We didn't have stairs in our previous apartment so I think she finds it very novel to tear up and down them over and over, lol.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Nosework is a great indoor activity. Start by hiding food, but then graduate to other smells. Tea bags work great. Just be sure to reward right on the smell as soon as they find it, to build the association between the smell and the treat.

Lots of trick training, too. Try something challenging: cross your paws, shake a toy, put away your toys, etc. Shaping is oh so much fun when the weather is too hot for much else.

·
Registered
596 Posts
We get up at 4:30AM get ready, get dogs ready, get ours & dogs things ready in a back pack & at 5:00Am we leave for a walk & to a park thats fenced in & let them off leash to run while playing with toys. During the day we do tricks, play with them in living room. When sun starts to go down we leave for a walk again.

We are thinking about getting a kiddy pool for them to play in.

~Erica~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts