Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this problem? Our dog started licking a hot spot on her leg in March. She has become obsessed with it. Now it is most of her one leg. We have tried injections, creams, pills, coneheads (two kinds), wrapping and now the vet is trying some lazer thing. Had one yesterday and going back on Saturday. She is also taking two kinds of pills (again). Anyway, her leg is ugly. Anyone have had anything like this happen to their pets? Oh we changed back to her regular dog food and no change.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
About all you can do is keep the area 'lick free' constantly for about 2 weeks, so it can totally heal. Not sure what you've tried exactly but I can say what has worked here with my golden's breeder's dogs and kennel dogs with hot spots...

Usually she will bath the area with surgical scrub - leaving it on for about five minutes then rinsing totally away. Then she blow dries it till it is completely bone dry. Usually she will shave around the area so the skin can totally dry out too, but not too extreme like some vets (who will shave half the dog for a quarter sized sore). Then it's either a hot spot powder from Carnivora (Canadian company) OR a spray for the same thing, depends on if it's a gooey spot or dry as well as what's been working so far. She will do that 2-4 times a day depending on the dog and how it works.

It also helps to do an alergy free diet, usually it's raw ground patties (also carnivora since if it's 'rabbit' it's only got rabbit in it, nothing else). No grains, including flax, or anything else to see if that will help calm things down.

For meds it usually ends up being an antihistamine, cortizone (as a last resort) and antibiotics. Though usually she will apply the cortisone cream and antibiotic cream to the area whenever she can (if it's not gooey).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She can't seem to keep it alone. We have it wrapped now. Sometimes we luck out and she can't get it off. Sometimes she gets the whole thing off. Licks or digs into it so much that it bleeds. Yes we have tried all kinds of meds. Creams she usually licks off. I don't think it is allergies any more (either does the vet). He things she is obsessed with the licking. This is getting pretty expensive but I want her to be pretty again:)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh we have tried two kinds of cones. One you blow up and it is perfectly round. The other is a plastic conehead. Well the silly dog just stretches her leg so she can bite or lick it.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It really needs to be kept dry or it simply won't heal. Maybe a longer cone?

Strong black tea and Goldbond powder always works for my dogs.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah. . .LOL. Maybe one of those cloth ones? That could be longer than a stiff one without hampering her mobility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts