Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!
I need help with my wonderful Welsh Man. He has just been allergy tested and major allergens, besides some trees and and grasses, are dust mites and molds that exist everywhere! We are about to start the shots. The Vet told me that these molds are also common in pet foods.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good Morning!
I need help with my wonderful Welsh Man. He has just been allergy tested and major allergens, besides some trees and and grasses, are dust mites and molds that exist everywhere! We are about to start the shots. The Vet told me that these molds are also common in pet foods.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
What are you feeding him? Many skin issues start with something as simple as their diet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started him with Royal Canine...then switched to Blue Buffalo Venison Sweet Potato.
Vet has him on Purinea HA,,

·
Registered
468 Posts
Both Royal Canin and Purina are brands I would personally avoid. I just checked the ingredients for the HA and I would switch your dog off this as soon as possible. Dogs with allergies don't need prescription diets, they just need a different brand of food. The HA has lots of red flag ingredients. For starters, there is ZERO meat. Dogs MUST have meat. The first ingredient isn't even named. It just says "starch". It also has menadione and DL- methionine, two chemicals linked with several medical issues. And TBHQ is a petrochemical man made preservative, also linked to medical issues including bladder cancer in humans.

Starch, hydrolyzed soy protein isolate, vegetable oil, calcium phosphate, partially hydrogenated canola oil preserved with TBHQ, powdered cellulose, corn oil, potassium chloride, vegetable gums (gum arabic, guar gum), choline chloride, DL-Methionine, salt, magnesium oxide, lecithin, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin E supplement, manganese sulfate, niacin, calcium carbonate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, garlic oil, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite.

I bolded all the ingredients that I would avoid and that I believe have no place in a dog's diet.

I would try to find a food with no grains and no chicken, as grains and chicken are common allergens. Is he still on Blue Buffalo? Did he have the allergy symptoms while on blue buffalo?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Okay well I highly suggest trying a grain free food. The Blue Buffalo, Purina, and Royal Canin you were feeding him all have grains, so I would feed something with out that.

He may be doing better on the HA, but it is worth it to search for another food. Like I mentioned in my previous comment, the Purina has so many ingredients that should never be in a dogs diet.

I really think you should try a raw diet. Dogs that are allergic to chicken kibble or beef kibble are 99% of the time not allergic to raw chicken or raw beef. The cooking process really messes with the protein structure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I appreciate your sharing the knowledge and the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can bath him with a tea tree oil shampoo as it is an antiseptic and will help to clear up the problem topically. But the product to use to get to the cause of the problem is Seacure by Proper Nutrition. It was what fixed my dogs skin problems. If you go to Proper Nutritions web site there is an article from the whole dog journal you can read.

Best of luck with your Welsh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts