Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think these would be okay around poultry/small animals? I know they are a herding breed, so I was hoping they may have that "instinct" to not actually hurt their "victims."

Also, suggestions on whether to get a pembroke or cardigan? I like the look of the cardigan more, but that's a minor detail.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
They are a VERY high evergy breed, that loves to torture small animals by chasing them lol, it would need to eather be trained to leave the other animals alone or kept seperate from them.

I can't speek for a corgi or for any other dog for that matter. But all of my herding dogs will chase animals but not kill them with a bite, even if given the chance. that doesn't mean they couldn't still acidentaly kill a duck If I left them in a cage with the duck all day simply from running the duck to the point of exhaustion.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
This is my experience owning a Corgi. Hopefully, you can learn from my mistakes. I adopted/rescued a corgi/terrier mix back in my clueless dog owner days. In my defense, I grew up in a household where our dog lived in the backyard, got fed on a regular basis and that was that. He refused to leave the yard except under coercion and he never, ever, ever got a walk. However, he was well behaved and very protective of us kids. He was a Guatemalan Gazehound of the first order and lived outside 24/7/365 as dogs did not belong in the house for any reason or so we were taught.

I adopted this corgi/terrier mix because 1) there was a serial killer loose in the city and I scared to death and 2) the shelter told me if I didn't, he was going to be PTS as his time was up. Looking back, that was a horrible, horrible, horrible thing for the shelter to do. As I said, Warrior was a corgi/terrier mix. I'm not sure if he was a pembrooke or a cardi. I know he was extremely high energy. I'm a very low energy guy. This was mistake number one.

I was also extremely busy and working 50-60 hours on 3rd shift so I was exhausted all the time and had little time for the dog. He was extremely high energy. I can't emphasize this enough. My guys I have now might survive with a 20-30 minute walk every couple of days and an hour long walk on weekends, but Warrior could not. His energy level and mine were polar opposites. This was mistake number two.

The dog had very little if any training. He pulled on a leash and tore up everything inside so I kept him outside. I slept during the day and couldn't monitor him and he knocked over any barriers I put up to keep him in the laundry room. Thus, he was resigned to a small backyard with a ton of pent up energy. This was mistake number three.

Needless to say, the rest is a story you can guess. He grew destructive, turned into an escape artist (which is why he was picked up as a stray in the first place most likely) and tore up everything. He was a pain to deal with, had no recall whatsoever and did as he pleased. He ran our relationship. He did stuff and I reacted to him. Eventually he got out for the umpteenth time and no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find him. I'm convinced that knowing what I know now that we could possibly make things work. Even then it would be extremely difficult. If I had him today I would probably try to rehome him just because I'm not active enough to keep up with a high energy dog like that.

That being said, the guy did love to herd. I would take him to the park on a leash and he would heard the geese all day long. He never hurt any of them and they hated him to death, but it did let him burn off energy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess corgis are out, then. I want a breed that won't be constantly trying to herd. Just when I actually want/need the help.

Any suggestions?

I work nights and sleep days just as hulkamaniac mentioned doing, so I don't want a high-strung dog that's always on the go. More like a laid back, dependable one that's ready to work when I'M ready to work. (Are any herders actually like that?! lol)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Shippo is my corgi, and he's been raised around parakeets and cats, and has met horses. They are prone to herd things constantly without training. Shippo has a strong "leave it" though.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Well eather the dog has the herding instinct or it doesn't. The ability to herd is inborn and it's not something that can be taught. If you want a dog that herds but also has lower energy your going to need to look at specific individual dogs within a breed, since all the herding breeds are high energy more or less.

Like i said the only way to keep a dog that has the instinct to herd from herding, is to eather teach them to leave the small animals alone, or to keep them seperated when you don't need thier help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just don't like the idea of keeping a dog penned up. I've grown up with the whole "farm dog" thing where the dogs stay on the property without being penned or chained.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
What sorts of training do you plan on doing?

Some dogs can be just fine as a farm dog allowed to wander the property, but most will get into trouble, you may have been lucky in the past but your luck will run out someday if you choose to go that route.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Basically a herding instinct is a prey instinct without the kill part on the end. The dog chases the sheep/cow/chicken/whatever because it consider it prey, but is bred to not have the instinct to kill at the end of the drive. If that makes any sense.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I would take the Pembroke because they tend to be much more patient and less dominant. But it's your choice.

Pembroke Welsh Corgis are a small herding breed who don't want to hurt their "victims" but to herd them. They can even try to herd kids. It is better to buy one at young age to train them that herding is a no-no. That might slow down the herding process but cannot stop it. It's in their blood. So (if you get one) prepare yourself for such problems.

A dog that would help herding when YOU want to herd would be a Corgi, if anything. They are the most laid-back animal that I could think of. Herding dogs have LOTS of energy. You can't change that.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I would take the Pembroke because they tend to be much more patient and less dominant. But it's your choice.

Pembroke Welsh Corgis are a small herding breed who don't want to hurt their "victims" but to herd them. They can even try to herd kids. It is better to buy one at young age to train them that herding is a no-no. That might slow down the herding process but cannot stop it. It's in their blood. So (if you get one) prepare yourself for such problems.

A dog that would help herding when YOU want to herd would be a Corgi, if anything. They are the most laid-back animal that I could think of. Herding dogs have LOTS of energy. You can't change that.

Have you actually MET any Cardigans? In genreal, it's the opposite way around. And if you want a corgi that isn't a herder? Get an adult who'se proven good with farm animals. (If this is the route you want to go, I can recommend a couple folks, provided the dog is going to be mostly an indoor dog. A corgi left unsupervised with poultry is GOING to torment them, period- if trained, it may not happen the first time, but corgis are GREAT at figuring out the loopholes to rules.)

·
Banned
42 Posts
Have you actually MET any Cardigans? In genreal, it's the opposite way around. And if you want a corgi that isn't a herder? Get an adult who'se proven good with farm animals. (If this is the route you want to go, I can recommend a couple folks, provided the dog is going to be mostly an indoor dog. A corgi left unsupervised with poultry is GOING to torment them, period- if trained, it may not happen the first time, but corgis are GREAT at figuring out the loopholes to rules.)
Touché. My parents had a cardigan, though. They are very cute! I probably mixed up the information. Sorry!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts