Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone feed or has fed this food? I am looking for a low fat 12% or less dog food to keep pancreatic issues at bay. This food is 12% fat. It is a 4 star food on the dogfoodadvisor ratings and is highly recommended.

Is this a good quality food? I have been doing homework on it but would like to hear from others who may feed this.

Or maybe someone has a better suggestion for a low fat food?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
We fed the puppy version for awhile on the recommendation of our adoption coordinator at the rescue where we got Biscuit. She swears by it and said it was good for many dogs with skin problems as well. We were perfectly happy with it, and I do think it's a high quality food. The only reason we switched was persistent itchiness due to who knows what.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I need to do the same thing. I like Wellness and if I were to use it, I'd use Wellness Core Reduced Fat. However, I chose to go with Natural Balance. I have used their Potato & Duck and their Sweet Potato & Fish foods (dry, cans and biscuits) with success. Right now, though, I've discovered their grain free Alpha formulas. I'm using the Trout currently, but plan to rotate to the Chicken. They also have a Lamb/Rabbit. Their protein is a little higher than the LIDs and the fat is still low enough 11.5%. My dogs love the food, too. For canned toppers I'm using Simply Nourish, Fromm Gold, Natural Balance LIDs.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you for the confirmation ... I was going to BB ... but the fat is a higher percentage. I also have the Wellness at arms reach here in the sticks at a TSC. :) It is only $49.99 for 30lbs. Sound like a good price?

I am super serious about pancreatic issues now ... and Blu Boy and Eddee are part Schnauzer. :/

Also I did read the Wellness Core was the lower fat percentage. But some said their dog lost weight on it? My dogs are correct weight at the moment.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Blue Buffalo does have some lower fat percentages, but I don't know what all TSC carries. They have some with 10% fat as fed and I think that would be a good percentage. Of course, like I said, I believe Wellness is a good food and if you want to try it, go for it.

I feel 49.99 is a good price for any 30lb. bag of food that's of quality. I tend to buy 12-15lb. bags at a time because I have small dogs that don't eat that much at a time.

Wellness Core Reduced Fat has around 350 cals/cup, so I don't know if that helps. When I fed it I was trying to "diet" my dog at the time, but I would also consider it for pancreas issues, too. Good luck and I hope this has helped!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I tried it once and Sydney didn't really seem to like it. Seems like a nice food though if your dogs will eat it.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried it once and Sydney didn't really seem to like it. Seems like a nice food though if your dogs will eat it.
I will definitely buy a small bag or see if I can get a sample of it before purchasing a larger bag.

I do know they love the BB so far.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I tried it and my dogs don't do well on a low-fat diet. It made their skin dry :/. But if low-fat is what you want, it definitely is low-fat.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I've fed the puppy one and the senior. Ellie did pretty good on it as a puppy and Shadow really did well on the senior variety. I was happy with it over all and would feed it again.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Did you look into the 4 health brand at tsc
my guys didnt do well on wellness but i still feel its a great food
They are currently on 4Health. They have been on this for approximately 10 months. They also have TOTW as a rotation food. My dogs were eating Beneful for over 4 years until I learned about dog food ingredients.

Also ... Abbylynn is getting too heavy even after cutting back on these foods. :/ If I cut back much more she will feel like she is starving.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I got my MIL's cockapoo to lose 1/2 her body weight feeding her Wellness Core Low Fat. The key is to feed the dog what she SHOULD weigh, not what she currently weighs. Feed baby carrots and no-salt green beans as extra fiber, which will help her feel more full. At first, she may not eat them, but hunger has a way of making all sorts of food taste good!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Also ... Abbylynn is getting too heavy even after cutting back on these foods. :/ If I cut back much more she will feel like she is starving.
In addition to what georgiapeach has mentioned, I've noticed that adding some water to kibble helps keep them fuller for longer too. Just let it soak in a small amount for a minute or two before feeding. Remember that she'll probably have to go out more often, though with the increased water intake.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts