Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be getting a Dachshund puppy on Wednesday. From the research I've done, I've decided to feed Blue Buffalo or Wellness. I'm leaning towards Wellness, because of the meat content. Any thoughts/recommendations? Or any other similar price ranged foods that are the same quality (or better) and are easily accessible at both Petsmart and Petco?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Our puppy is on Wellness Super5Mix and is doing great on it. Nice solid poops and he loves the taste. He was on Merrick before this but it didn't agree with him. Even after a slow transition and three weeks on the food his stool never firmed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going to a Wellness Product use Just for Puppies, then Small Breed. The others are terrible low protein foods.

At around 8 months or so, switch to Small Breed. That food looks just right for small dogs that need to stay trim, higher protein & moderate fat.
Small breed Just for Puppy or regular Just for Puppy? I was looking at the bags and didn't notice a lot of difference. The small breed Just for Puppy had the first grain listed one or two spots further down the list than the regular Just for Puppy

·
Registered
138 Posts
We are feeding the regular Wellness Super5 Mix just for puppies to our 8 pound papillon. He loves crunching on the kibble. The Small Breed Just for puppy formula has very small kibble. I don't really see much of a difference in ingredients between the two. You also get a little more for your money with the regular puppy formula.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
My dogs didn't look good on Wellness. I think it's because the regular formulas don't have animal fat (the small and large breed formulas use chicken fat, but the regular one uses canola oil). And are pretty low in protein. I wasn't impressed, especially considering the price (!).

They did do well on Blue. There are other foods about the same quality that cost less, but Blue is usually easier to find.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I like both brands, and have used both. Now that Petsmart carries Wellness, it's easier to find. I say you can't go wrong with either one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts