Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This girl was on a joy ride by herself in the park today while we were setting up for the agility trial. I originally thought she was with someone, but then realized that she wasn't.

After a serious case of the zoomies, she came over to us, stressed and excited, we put her on a leash and looked a bit for her owner. Then the others had to set up because they had dogs running today so I went and walked her around a bit.

I take her down a residential street right near the park and I see a house with a door open. Worth a shot, I thought, figured I'd ask if anyone knew who it was

*knock on door*
*woman comes to the door frantically with phone in ear* OH! I've been calling everyone.. Lucy, why do you have to go run away!.. this is the third time she's gotten out... I really need to get tags on her
Me: Yeah, you do, she turned up down at the dog show and no one knew where she came from
Her: Oh, it's my kids.. they open the door and she gets out..
Me: Do you walk her?
Her: Umm, well, I let her out in the backyard.. I can't walk her, I have three little kids
Me: Um, well, I think that's what she needs, based on how she was running all over the place.

Cute bitch.. not spayed and GOD AWFUL conformationally, looked either out of shape and going into heat or maybe had a litter recently. Felt bad for her.. a huge beautiful park across the street and you can't even take the time to walk your dog. :( Can't say I blame her for taking matters into her own hands and making a run for it!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well some dogs will run even if you walk them..Especailly if they have gotten out before to some it can turn into a game.

But I would have suggested a door or gate/fence lock to the woman.My 3 & 4yr old forget and leave the gate open from time to time to ride there bikes on our huge concrete driveway (luckly the dogs haven't gone out) So we invested in fence locks either an eye lock or the camping locks that screw closed so they can't get out without asking.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Having three kids is actually a great reason to walk the dog... make it a family outing... Kids need exercise too! =P

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Having three kids is actually a great reason to walk the dog... make it a family outing... Kids need exercise too! =P
I thought the same thing! The park is literally half a block from her house. Load the kids up in a stroller or wagon or something and take the dog out, even if just on a 20' line or something. Everybody needs to get out a little bit. I mean, WORST case there is a small dog run in the park and EVERYONE knows about it.. there is no one in there in the morning on weekdays.

And you are right RR Mom.. in retrospect I wish I had mentioned something like that, but in the moment ya just can't remember everything.. I was more concerned about finding the dog's owner and making sure they knew that she could have gotten hit by a car or stolen.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Poor thing. She just wanted to get out and play, sad thing is she'll probably end up pregnant soon (if she isn't already). Sounds like mom doesn't have any control of the household. I feel sad for the dog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts