Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom snapped...heh...So she shut off the internet (is at school) so I guess I won't be around on DF....*tear* haha

She told me, "If you don't get a job, your pets are going to starve, because I won't do anything with them"

I tried to tell her I can't hold a job and get straight A's at the same time, but, she said..eh you need to learn to support yourself. I never knew 16 year olds had to do that..T_T

It only costs about 5 dollars a week, barely, so I figured me cleaning the entire house and doing all chores once a week was good enough, but I guess not...

But, good news!!! I think I've got a job :p I walked into the elementary school next to mine that I used to work at last year, and they saw my art work and violin and said I was nice, gave me an application, and told me to come back to get to know the teacher :D I'll probably be a tudor(sp?) lol....wooo!!!!

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Pepper, that does stink. It might be difficult maintaining your grades and working, but if you set your mind to it I'm sure you can do it very easily. You're a smart girl, you'll be fine, and the creatures need to eat... :D

I hope the job works out for you. That would be fantastic AND it will look good on your resume.

Keep us posted okay?

·
Registered
430 Posts
And $20 a month is pretty cheap, so you can maybe pay for 'net for yourself too. Pepper, I graduated on a Saturday, started my first full time job the next Monday and 3 weeks later, I paid my mom rent from my first paycheck. So, I've BTDT. It sucks, but you can do it.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I don't pay for anything of my own, but I tutor math (only 2 hours a week) and make a good $64 a month.

If you're good at math/reading/writing or any instrument, offer to teach lessons. I also made $500 in 2 months just gathering a group of middle school kids and teaching them advanced math, since they were in families who wanted them to be on top of everything.

I hope everything works out for you, I'm sorry to hear about what's happening *hugs*

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Wow that does stink.
I never had to have a job in high school, but I really wouldn't of had time for one anyway.
However, you should feel extremely lucky that you just happened to walk into the elementary school and had such luck!!! I hope you get this as a job. It sounds super neat! I wish that'd happen for me. I however cannot draw a circle and the don't teach kids flute in elementary school.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a few jobs, I worked litter patrol, Coldstone, Safeway, and was a Library Aide.

This job will be pretty good and will bring in a nice amount of money if I get it, which I will haha.

It will be monday-thursday for 2 hours and Alaska raised their minimum wage to close to 8 dollars an hour, so I'll at least be making like 40 dollars a week I think.

Sp, hopefully all goes well!!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Good luck Pepper! I hope you get the job. Tutoring is a good way to make some money in highschool. I did it and was able to fit it around my school and sports schedule. Keep your head up! :D

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
You can do it Pepper! When I was in high school..I had four part time jobs. I worked at the sporting goods store, the snowcone factory place, I was a tudor and I babysat for a few families. I paid for my own car in the 11th grade! It's good for your resume (which I'm sure you know).

And, you will always know that you put all that work into your pets and she cannot take that away from you...because you did it on your own. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck to you! I know that it can be done and im sure that being able to do the job and keep grades up will be satisfying and rewarding all at once.

My oldest is only 11 but is already talking about college and getting a job, staying on the basketball team, etc etc.

Usually its the parents who push the kids but im have to reign her in and hose her down some, told her that school and grades come first, everything else will fall into place as it needs to.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got the job and went to work yesterday, it was sooo fun! haha

A. I got free snacks :D

B. I got to play with a huge bearded dragon :D :D

C. I got to work with kids, who were nice, so that's a plus

D. My mom was happy lol, still no internet, but I'm getting there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts