Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petco opened up one of its new Petco Unleashed stores within five minutes of my house, so I brought Pig in today to get some new toys. It's a small store; we were the only ones in there with the two employees. One of the guys commented on how nice her coat and teeth were and asked what I fed. Normally I avoid having a conversation with strangers (and some friends!) about my dogs' diets. If I'm in a store or at work I usually just say I feed a homemade diet and leave it at that. However, today I told the employee that I fed raw. He asked what kind and when I told him PMR I didn't even have to explain what that meant. So, not only did I not have to listen to a pet-store employee trying to convince me to switch to a commercial food, we had a little (positive) discussion about raw.

It was just pleasantly surprising.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good to me, I have not heard of that new line of store, what's it all about? Just small?
Yea, it's scaled down to just supplies. I think it might even be just cat/dog supplies, maybe they had small animal/fish supplies near the cat things, but I didn't walk through there. They had a much smaller variety of toys than a regular petco, but they seemed to have a wider variety of food/treats. It was a nice place though, very clean and well organized. The staff was awesome as well. Besides our food conversation, they were just really nice guys. One of them even waited for Pig to sit before petting her, which is not something I can say for most of the employees at our 'full' petco.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, Unleashed is a Petco scaled down to no animals (I wish we had one here, I'd transfer in a heartbeat). They seem to, so far, be opening them in locations that manage to attract employees that are, shall we say more open? to "alternative" diets. I LOVE to discuss dog food with my customers (the one's that want to know more then where the Pedigree is) and have discussed raw vs home cooked vs kibble with customers before. IMO, it's YOUR dog and YOUR money. I can give you my opinion (usually only if asked for though) on kibble but if you're not looking for kibble then my opinion doesn't matter does it? I've done kibble. I've done home cooked. Haven't ventured into raw, yet...I'm working up to it lol. We're not supposed to recommend raw to our customers. The "official" reason is because of the amount of research involved to have a balanced raw diet. I'm sure if I had a freezer with frozen raw in it then we would recommend it though.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
That's the bad thing about working at a mainstream store like Big Petco or PETsMART, when I worked there they put me on the floor thenks to my over all knowledge of dogs & horses (this particular PETsMART had a horse dept back when they were partnered with State Line Tack). It wasn't in the rules, but we were told round about that it was preferred we steer customers twds the Authority (PETsMAR's brand) but i never would, if the food the customer needed wasn't carried then i wouldn't make a sale, helping the customer & their dog was more important then money to me, plus i figured if i was nice like that word of mouth ppl will come.

But i didn't get a chance to rrep the benifits, they put me on stocking instead & i ws always at odds w/ the management, so i found other employment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We're not supposed to push any one particular brand. Our training is to "push" the natural brands but if someone doesn't want that then I'm personally fine with selling them what they want. If I don't carry what they want they have 2 choices, leave or ask me if we have something comparable. Up to them. I'm not paid on commission so I refuse to act like it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts