Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the article from DFA: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/natures-variety-dog-food-recall-2012/ it says that there is no contamination, only an issue with some bags not lasting for their 'use by' date & it only effects NVP beef/barley medley... im feeding the venison/millet... but i havent noticed an off odor & the dogs still eat it... should i be worried? what do you guys think?

all this drama in the DF intustry makes me either want to cook for my dogs or go raw, but i dont know if i have the experience i need to do either

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
No, I wouldn't be especially concerned by this. People get upset by recalls but to me as long as it isn't constantly and they are voluntary, it shows the company is honest. Nobody is perfect. If recalls are what concern you I don't think going raw is really the solution. People foods get recalls all the time too.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Yeah, no i liked the way they handled it, i was just wondering if it was something i should be worried about
I wouldn't if the food smells fine and doesn't cause any issues. Honestly, even I occasionally eat expired food as long as it isn't obviously rotten. I think most dogs should be able to handle it just fine on the off chance that you have an affected bag.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Going raw certainly wont help you any if recalls are what your worried about. Raw human grade food is also recalled frequently.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned about this unless you feed their beef food. I understand being frustrated so there's a couple things you can do: do the research to home cook or do raw, buy a pre made raw or buy kibble from a company that hasn't had a recall, such as Fromm, Earthborn (they also have their own plants), if you go to the Dog food Advisor, Brothers food seems to be very popular. Oh, also Annamaet. The Honest Kitchen has never had a recall and their food is human grade and made in a plant that makes food for us.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
PMR is pretty easy tbh, 80% muscle meat 10% bone 10% organ and you're pretty much good to go... This is among many reasons why I wanted to switch to raw.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Meh, It's not a big deal, the fact that they're cautious enough to voluntarily recall it despite the fact that their food posed no immediate risk is telling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts