Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I feel like a jerk now cause a girl freaked out at the sight of Eevee when she got too close, and was jumping around, shrieking and trying to hit her away with her sandals. This has never happened to me and I didn't have time to think about what to say, so I was truthful, but a bit harsh and I think I offended her AND her mother. Sigh. But she was taking swings at my dog and I just kindof reacted. DX

This pre-teen girl and her mother were standing on the property talking to Blake and his dad, and I just happened to walk past because one of the kittens out here was too close to the road and I was getting her. Both my dogs were following me like they always do, and Eevee sniffed at the girl as we walked past, and the girl FREAKED OUT and started jumping around and waving her arms wildly and screaming "MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM! MOOOOOMMMMM OMG GET IT AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

When she started swinging with her sandals and scaring the crap out of Eevee, who was already confused by her reaction, I got Eevee away from her and reacted in my own way by saying, "You know, if you react like that to a dog who IS mean, you will scare it and it might bite you. Just don't be afraid, they can sense that and it scares THEM." Both she and her mother looked at me like I had just slugged the little girl in the face or something, and then her mother said something along the lines of it being totally fine to react like that to a strange animal. >-.-<

I took the kitten and my dogs and walk away feeling defeated, and like a complete ass. Neither Blake nor his dad said anything to back me up. In fact, Blake told me how harsh I sounded, after I walked away.

I still feel like crap... I just reacted the only way I knew how and didn't have time to think about it because it happened so fast. I was trying to protect my dog. Sigh.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Personally, I don't think you overreacted. I would have probably done the same thing. I wouldn't stand for any kid taking a swing at my dogs, especially if they were on my property. The kid will get bitten if she continues to act that way. Sounds like a little drama queen in the making.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's sad that a lot of people and children are not taught to be dog savvy. I don't think what you said was wrong, perhaps it could of been a wee bit nicer. On one hand, the girl could been just acting the drama queen, but on the other hand, perhaps she has a extreme fear of dogs? It's hard to figure out what is what. I agree with the information you were trying to convey and being protective of your dog. I could understand why the child freaked out so badly (perhaps she was bitten really bad before and the only reaction she knows is to completely breakdown, possibly no one has taught her otherwise). What I don't agree with is how the mother responded to you. Not only was she completely rude to you, also that's a horrible message to give your child. What if your kid ran into a bear? So it's okay to flail around freaking out and causing a big show? I really don't like it when parents coddle their children like that, and carry about as if their child is perfectly in the right. I hope that kid doesn't get attacked by a dog or what have you one day.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I probably would have given the mum an earful as well. But that's just me. I don't care if people think I am nice or not. I think you did good :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Shouldn't feel like a jerk. You tried to educate them on how to deal with dogs.
I personally would have yelled at her if she tried to hit my dog. No one lays a finger on or tries to hit my dog, doesn't matter what their excuse is.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sometimes children have genine dog phobias. They can even have a real reason for having them (being frightened or injured by a dog). But frequently they learn that they can get lots of reinforcement from mom for shreiking and putting on a show.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I reacted unintentionally harsh as well when someone hit my dog with a newspaper... and my dog is afraid of newspapers. And afterwards I also felt like an ass, but mostly because my father didn't back me up and told me I was too harsh and should apologize. And I felt that was totally unjustified. :( You can't just hit my dog, end of discussion.

Your reaction was justified, don't feel bad about it.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I don't think you overeacted at all. It's your job to protect your dog.

·
Registered
321 Posts
you know, I don't think you were rude at all. Of course I can't see your face when you said it or hear your intonation, but, at least in text, that sounded like nice advice being passed down. And it's just normal to protect your dog.

I really dislike girls who overeact. It's like their gender allows them to react in stupid ways just because "everyone knows girls act like that", if men can learn to keep a poker face when being scared, so can women.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Being a teenage girl myself, I would've went off on the little brat, far worse than what you did, so don't feel bad. You seemed completely level headed.

That reaction is just ridiculous, and a lot of little girls act like that for attention. and voila, they get it. It's irritating to say the least.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I really dislike girls who overeact. It's like their gender allows them to react in stupid ways just because "everyone knows girls act like that", if men can learn to keep a poker face when being scared, so can women.
LOL. I learned about over-reaction at about 5. When a bug landed on me, I would scream and carry on until my mother came and brushed it off. Then one day I caught my finger in the gait and that was the time my mom decided she was tired of rescuing me from harmless insects and let me scream a while.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Being a teenage girl myself, I would've went off on the little brat, far worse than what you did, so don't feel bad. You seemed completely level headed.

That reaction is just ridiculous, and a lot of little girls act like that for attention. and voila, they get it. It's irritating to say the least.

This!! There is a girl in my class that will whine over every little thing to get attention! She has even went as far as saying she wa pregnant to get attention. anyway back on topic, I would have reacted the same way. I have before. I have said worse to family and didn't feel bad about it. So I wouldn't feel bad if I said it to a strangers(unless like the situation I had a week ago with the disabled kid)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Some people are just used to doing whatever they like, whenever they like without anyone ever saying anything to them. Why should YOU feel bad? I think you were very reasonable under the circumstances.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Even if she has a phobia of dogs, she needs to learn how to control her reaction. You're absolutely right - here was a friebdly dog just saying hi, and she could have really frightened the dog and caused a much more violent raction. You just don't freaking scream and flail and hit at an abimal - any animal! Even if it's actually attacking you, that's really not going to help.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, everyone has definitely made me feel better. Had I known this perfectly average pre-teen girl was going to flip out, I definitely would have put both dogs in a down-stay while I fetched the kitten. And when the girl did react, it happened really fast, and I got eevee away from her as quickly as I could.

Someone on another forum told me it was my fault the whole thing happened and I "let Eevee become a victim" because I walked past this normal-seeming girl on our own property and one of my dogs happened to sniff on the way past. That felt more offensive to me than what I said to the girl. It rather hurt. I guess I'm supposed to leash my dogs on my own property on the very off chance that a guest is going to suddenly have an irrational fear of dogs...

Don't get me wrong, when I'm out in public with my dogs, they are leashed and I don't let them just approach people. But we were on our private property and just happened to walk past. I don't think I could have prevented that, because I Just had no idea...

Can't wait to leave...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You're not a jerk. I think animal relation skills should be required teaching in schools. Too many children don't know how to act around animals and that's why so many people get bitten, scratched, kicked, etc. I try to educate children in my neighborhood, although Kabota totally encourages the worst behavior. I'll tell kids where to pet him, how to pet, to keep their faces away from his, what a scared dog looks like so they can walk away.

One girl ran up to Kabota, dropped to her knees, hugged him and started kissing his muzzle. Kabota being Kabota, he sat and waited patiently for her to stop, but how many dogs wouldn't bite in that situation? Not too many. When I told her mother that she needs to stop her child from doing that before she gets bitten in the face, her mother just laughed. Oh, yeah, hilarious.

I feel truly bad for the dogs these girls provoke into biting. It will happen eventually.

ETA:

Someone on another forum told me it was my fault the whole thing happened and I "let Eevee become a victim" because I walked past this normal-seeming girl on our own property and one of my dogs happened to sniff on the way past. That felt more offensive to me than what I said to the girl. It rather hurt. I guess I'm supposed to leash my dogs on my own property on the very off chance that a guest is going to suddenly have an irrational fear of dogs...
That's ridiculous. You can't predict that kind of a reaction out of someone. You can assume that a certain number of people are afraid of dogs, but that they'll start screaming and kicking? I wouldn't consider that something a reasonable person could predict.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
You'll find in Texas it's a tad bit different ... At least for me, I would have kicked them off my property that's it & would if I was you given my guys a talking to as well (my fiancée tries this 'you need to be nicer' crap when I school someone on how to treat my dogs but I have none of it from him) & told them that when it comes to MY dogs, I won't spare ppl's feelings esp when they are t respecting the feelings of another living creature

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahahaha. Well I'll be in TX in about 2 weeks, so I guess I'll get to see that for myself! XD Although I'm going to be living in suburban Fort Worth, so it will be more strict there than here. But I'm still not required to leash my dogs on my own property, especially if they're well-trained/behaved and under voice control.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts